Sign in to follow this  

Setup question???

Rode my 06 RMZ450 today. Track was very rough. Sag ~ 108, clickers were set to "normal setttings". Fork c6, r6 S lsc6, r6, hsc 2.

I accidentally sat way back on the seat down a rough straight ( at the fender junction). The bike felt extremely good! I sat through the entire straight and the rear soaked it all up. The front felt calm and wasn't jarring or dancing around as when I stood up in the "head over the bars crouch".

Whats up with my setup? I realize that sitting that far back I put more leverage on the rear suspension, but does it mean I have something wrong with my setup? When I stood or sat forward, the ride was much harsher. Standing I would feel alot more chop through the bars and the rear was more "active" feeling. No bad, just more tiring to ride that way.

Just curious if it sounds like something is odd with my setup.

Have you recently changed anything on the bike ? (new chain different length , fork or shock oil amount or weight , different gearing , new bars or risers , clamps , different seat or seat foam)

Are your forks up in the clamps(closer to the bars) ?

that would put more weight on the front and cause harsh feeling

Is your rear wheel near the front of the adjusters ?

If you move your wheel back it will give more straight line stability and slow down the response of the bike

or has your bike always handled bad when in the normal riding position and you are trying to change it from what it always has been ?

Yes, I changed the gearing before today's ride. Went from 13/47 back to 14/49 which moved the rear wheel forward about 1". I put a new silencer on and the low gearing was tiring me out.

Forks are set at the scribed line, which is where they've been. Bike still turns well. Both ends have been revalved and I've had times when it felt extremely good.

I didn't check my sag after I moved the wheel forward, so I'm assuming it didn't change much from 108. Probably a bad assumption.

1" forward is alot , it will affect how the bike handles , and it will affect your sag , anytime you change the weight bias from front to rear it affects how the bike works

try changing all the clickers back to completely stock , after setting your sag again and see if it feels any better ?

When someone revalves your suspension , properly , you should just have to mess with the clickers a little to get the bike to feel good , if it does not then they did not set it up right , by either you telling them incorrect info on how or what you ride , or sometimes even the best just dont do it right

i have a friend that has had his suspension re-done by RG3 4 times trying to get it right , and the more we messed with it , the more we came to realise they did it wrong each time , the last time to the point of him breaking his shock itself and both fork springs , while riding on a GP track(no big jumps) , so just because it was revalved , does not necessarily mean it was done correctly , and that might be your entire issue

again check and if necessary re-set your sag , put all your settings back to stock , then ride , see how it feels , ride the same areas you were having issues with , then click your rebound out a couple clicks on your forks (2 clicks) and see if it feels better or worse ,then go back to stock and do the rear , the idea is to adjust as little as possible to get the bike to feel "good" , if you can not get it anywhere near where you feel comfortable by the end of the day , adjusting your forks and shock , then i would say that the revalve needs to be redone , as you should not have to fight it if it was done correctly , and they should have gotten you in the ballpark when it was done so all you had to do was set it and maybe make a click here and there for varying conditions , but no major changes , there is always times when you have to adjust from track to track and for different temperatures , but it should only be a few clicks if you have to go all the way one way or the other , then it is not set up right...period..

By sitting all the way back you are transfering the weight off the front of the bike. This would make the 'hit' far less onto the front wheel so it will feel more plush