Sign in to follow this  

kickstart repair

Hello, I have a 2001 wr426 the kickstart works but flops out when riding, can I buy a repair kit or will I have to buy a new one, has anybody had this problem and what did you do to repair it. Thanks Jez6968

Probably just a weak spring you have to replace... You'll get help faster if you post this in the yamaha section..

I got the same problem on my yz250 I just put a string on the frame to put around the kicker when I'm riding lol

in most kick starts, there is a little ball and spring, sometimes they get corroded and just need a cleaning, for example i had the same problem and just took off the one philipps bolt holding on my kick start and then removed it from the bike, once i did, I noticed that the little ball bearing had actually ground down to nothing, so take it apart and see if it needs just a cleaning or a new spring or a new ball, should be less than $5 to fix and no strings attached.

just take out the ball and spring take it to a hardware store and get new ones get the spring a little longer that the one you took out so it will have more pressure

Thanks for the help everybody, took the kick start to bits replaced spring and bearing, cleaned it all up and is now working much better. Thanks everybody Jez...... In the UK a new kickstart is £172 inc vat. Bearing £0.11p and spring £ 0.74p good cheap fix