Antigravity Batteries Giveaways: Winners Announced! Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

clutch is difficult to pull in all of a sudden

My bike (2001 xr200) wasnt being ridden, and i was pulling in the clutch to move it, i let go and went to pull it in again and all of a sudden it became really hard to pull in. It is not the wire, it is the actual clutch i think. What could cause this? also it kind of clicks when i try to pull it in.

the thing is that it happened like all of a sudden, not just like it was hard to pull when i got it.

ok, so the cable is for sure not the problem. i disengaged the cable, and wheni pull the lever it effortlessly glides through the tube surrounding it. Now that i think about it, i think the clutch was always pretty hard to pull in (it is a very new bike to me, im not sure). But,.... When i pull in the clutch and it is in gear (and off) it will roll, but with a little more effort than i thought it might take. Then when i release it, it locks up like it is supposed to and it wont roll. My problem is that it is much harder to push when in gear and the clutch is engaged than when it is just in neutral. Is this normal?

ok i did some more research and i think i could've found the problem. Is it possible that since it has sat all winter without running, and it is in my cold basement that the clutch plates are sticking? I was reading that this can happen but it can clear up with an oil change and running it for a little while. Like right now i have to pull the clutch lever in really hard to totally disengage it(by this i mean, so that i dont hear the piston moving up and down when i roll it, off, in gear, with the clutch engaged) And then when i slowly release it, it seems like it sticks and stays disengaged until the lever is almost all the way out, and then it will then engage again.

Are you sure it wasn't the cable catching on the perch ? The bike you have is the closest to being bombproof as it gets. Why don't you change your oil and find out. Theres little likelihood that its the plates sticking unless you added honey to the case before winter. I live in the tundra and my stuff is outside in a shed during winter and I have never had a problem with clutch plates sticking. Check the cable for fraying then chg the oil and see if that works.