Sign in to follow this  

Premium Fuel Only On Pitbike???

Whats The Deal With 4 Stroke Pitbikes Requiring Premium Fuel? What Benefit Could A Higher Octane Fuel Have In Such A Small Engine??? Or Are They Wanting Fuel To Burn Slower To Keep Valves From Frying??? Not Sure Which Grade Of Fuel You Buy Today Is Worth A Crap Anyway. With E-15 & Hydrogen Additives (AKA Watered Down Junk) Just Curious On Why They State Premium Fuel Only?? Its A Pitbike Not A Vette!!!:banana:

We use premium in our lawn mowers, weed whackers and everything in general except our cars. it prevents detonation and just burn better...

We use premium in our lawn mowers, weed whackers and everything in general except our cars. it prevents detonation and just burn better...

You Really Use Hi Test In Your Mower & Weedeater??? Wow I Thought I Had Issues? Hah!

The type of fuel required is only determined by compression ratio and flame front speed/ignition timing. If you have a higher compression then 10:1 in a pitbike, you had better use premium. There is no other reason. Using premium in an engine that doesn't require it will actually cost you power due to the slower flame front. -BIG DAN:thumbsup:

I would go with the detonation reason, and that my 200 runs smoother when on 93 octane than 87....87 seems to crackel and pop so much more than 93

Most pitbikes are running 9 to 1 compression ratios, requiring 87 only. RUnning higher octane will not make the engine run any smoother unless the compression ratio requires that octane rating.