Sign in to follow this  

impossible jetting

2006 CR250. Played with a bunch of different jets. Bike was pinging at wide open throttle, so I went bigger on the main till the pinging went away. Runs good but now the bike splooges out the pipe. Went down 1 size on the main and the pinging is back. Seems to be no answer??? Is there something else I might be missing?

is the ignition timing set to spec?

great question. I have owned four different 2-strokes over the past 10 years and have never messed with timing. Never needed to. I assume the timing is stock? but I guess I shouldn't assume that. can you point me to a procedure to check timing? Thanks Eddie

the procedure is in the service manual.the easy thing to check is to see if the timing slot on the stator plate hase been altered. they have a limiter from the factor that doesnt allow the timing to be changed. it can be removed and the timing altered.

Maybe this not relevant to you but did you buy the bike new? Just asking because if its a used bike then maybe the previous owner installed a high compression piston that requires higher octane gas.

I replaced the top end. Stock. And yes, the timing slot on the stator looks normal...not altered. Should I put the Mikuni back on? I still have it (stock carb)

I replaced the top end. Stock. And yes, the timing slot on the stator looks normal...not altered. Should I put the Mikuni back on? I still have it (stock carb)

Forgot to mention I have a Keihin PWK on it instead of the stock mikuni

could part of my problem be due to the fact that I swapped carbs, so I am not using the TPS sensor since the PWK doesn't have one?

It was changed when I bought the bike. And from what I hear, the mikuni carb is really finicky, so many people put the keihin on instead