Sign in to follow this  

04 DRZ won't idle...changed pilot

read a bunch of posts about not being able to get these bikes to idle and to change the pilot jet. Well, I did that. went up two sizes from a 17.5 to a 22. And still no idle. Is there anything else I can do? The bike is totally stock

Good luck. I have a 01 DR200SE that won't idle, but with mine you can set the idle and in 30 seconds it will start to climb to the red line. I have rejetted, changed petcock, and checked for any vacume leaks and still can't figure it out. I'm thinking of buying a flat side carb for it. If that don't fix it I will just sell it. :thumbsup:

What are the full symptoms?

Did it every idle? If so, changing the jetting is not the answer unless you changed something else.

You say it's stock, how stock is it? Did you ever do anything to it?

Have you done any other diagnostic checks, like a compression test, valve clearance, spray carb cleaner on the boots?

When was the last time the carb was cleaned?

Tell us everything you know, there's too little info in your post to really help you out.

What are the full symptoms?

Did it every idle? If so, changing the jetting is not the answer unless you changed something else.

You say it's stock, how stock is it? Did you ever do anything to it?

Have you done any other diagnostic checks, like a compression test, valve clearance, spray carb cleaner on the boots?

When was the last time the carb was cleaned?

Tell us everything you know, there's too little info in your post to really help you out.

+1

Does it start, then die when you give it gas? Or does it only run if you give it gas? What about it's temp? Does it not idle only when it's cold, or only when hot, or both?

A 100% bone stock bike WILL run/idle (assuming all parts are clean and functioning properly), maybe just not very well, depending on altitude/temp.

How long have you had the bike, has it always done that since you owned it, or is this a recent development?

If it's ran fine before and this is a recent development, you likely have a dirty carb and need to clean it.

Start with factory specs (look them up on TT or in a repair manual), and work outward from there. Your PJ isn't the only jet you likely need to change, either, most people replace the MJ, PJ, and needle for best results.

:thumbsup:

well, by stock, I mean it has all stock parts on it. I just got the bike, so I don't know if it idled before or not. I will try checking for air leaks, etc. Although airleaks usually cause a higher idle.

I did replace the main and idle, like I said before. It runs great as long as you are giving it gas. I also cleaned the carb when I changed jets.

Not sure if it runs hot or not. seems to be fine

Sounds to me like a pilot screw adjustment is in order. It's on the left? side, sometimes under an aluminum plug (I don't remember for the DR-Z125).

An example, see the flat-head screw next to the pink tube? That's it.

20536.jpg

Now your carb may be slightly different and as I said, it may be hidden under a plug (drill it with a 1/8" bit very slow, when it breaks through, stop, screw in a drywall or wood screw and pull it out), but they're all very similar, unless it's a Yamaha designed carb, in which case NOTHING is like it. Luckily, you should have a Mikuni round slide on your Suzuki.

update: I think this is the actual DR-Z 125 stock carb, Item A is the idle speed screw, the pilot screw is in the hole above D.

garage.php?do=viewattachment&attachmentid=43090

You should turn screw A in until it idles, even if it's high before attempting to adjust the screw in the hole above D. That hole could possibly have a plug in it as noted above. Turn it in first, if the idle speed increases, keep turning until it idles really rough or bottoms out (if it bottoms out and the bike is still running, your pilot is wrong), then turn it back out counting 1/2 turns until it runs really bad again. Divide the number of turns by 1/2 and screw it back in again that many turns. This way it will be perfect. Although most people simple adjust it to the point where it idles best.

Then turn A back out to set your idle speed.

Good luck.

Is there a combination that works best for a stock motor, stock airbox, removed baffle? I have a stock set-up carb right now and bought 2 sizes bigger of both the main and pilot.

not sure. I ended up selling the bike. Never really got it to idle that great

If I remember right, you push the lever down to activate the choke.