Sign in to follow this  

Dropped bike in river... Now what?

It starts fine, but everytime i try to give it gas it just dies... I took the bottom allen screw out and drained some gas.. first water came out and then gas.. I did not drop the bike all the way and the airfilter didnt have water on it. I dropped it on the left side.. (note) i dropped the bike probably five or six times prior to dropping it in the river.. Could it just be that my spark plug is fouled? What else should i do? I'm taking it into the shop when i get back from spring break... But i just want to see if i can fix it myself so i dont have to..

It still might have inducted a little water. I would do the followong any way.

remove the fuel tank.

take out the spark plug \put her on her seat and saddle (upside down)

put her in gear and turn the real wheel over for a minute.

Put her back on her feet, replace spark plug (in your case maybe a new one)

Clean/flush the carb properly

change the oil.

Sholud be right to go.

One thing to add is after you change the oil, run the bike through a heat cycle and then change it again. Make sure the oil looks like new. If not there was still water in there some where. Change it again until it does.

yep, when ur bike goes for a swim it will act just like this as my 07 kx250f did. just change the oil/filter. run oil through till it looks new and no water. clean air filter casue it could have ented that way too. also drain all the gas out of ur carb.

:banana:Well ended up taking the bottom bolt out of carb drained some more gas and started it up. Ran great! Going to change my oil/ oilfilter/ and air filter tomorrow.. I'm almost positive no water got in the oil but i rather be safe than sorry. There was no water on my filter either... When i dropped the bike i didnt even fall off, just put my left foot down.. My oil eye glass thing isnt milky or anything.. Thanks guys