Sign in to follow this  

What four stroke should I get?

I'm going to buy a new 4 stroke. The models that I am looking at are the following:

09 KX450F

08 CRF450R

08 YZ450F

09 YZ450F

These would all be brand new models that are leftover from last year. I only trail ride and do not race. Please give me your experiences if you own one of these bikes. Thank you.

I own a '08 CRF450 and it's the best bike I've ever owned, but all I do is MX. If you're not doing MX, I think either of the YZF's might be better because I know they are a little more mellow in power delivery, plus they have better suspension out of the box. Just my thoughts...

I agree with torch, a yzf and some good mods. Rekluse, suspension, skid plate, and a set of hand gaurds. If your not a big guy, a 250 will suite your needs great in the woods.

A lot of guys are riding the KX450...so they can't be too bad themselfs..

Personally I belive the better price would be the better bike...

You should look at trail bikes...

WR

CRFX

XCW

I thought of that but there are not that many and are much more expensive than the racers here in Az.

I was quoted an 08 YZ450F for $4,500 OTD today at a dealership. I think I can do better once I really start shopping.

I found an 09 KX450 Monster edition today. Holy crap that thing is sweet. I'm looking at Honda's tomorrow but it's going to be tough to beat the Kawi.

husky390or,

I'm in the exact same boat as you are, looking at the exact some model's. Think I'm pretty dead set on the YZ, but that FI Kawi is tempting. Don't ride track either (yet, perhaps in the future), but do a lot of offroad, singletrack, dez type riding.

Please keep me posted on the prices you're getting quoted and what you end up buying.

Have fun with the search!

-Luke

husky390or,

I'm in the exact same boat as you are, looking at the exact some model's. Think I'm pretty dead set on the YZ, but that FI Kawi is tempting. Don't ride track either (yet, perhaps in the future), but do a lot of offroad, singletrack, dez type riding.

Please keep me posted on the prices you're getting quoted and what you end up buying.

Have fun with the search!

-Luke

The 09 Kawi's have dried up here so I am down to the 09 YZ450 for $5,800 OTD or the 09 CRF450R for $5,189 OTD. The YZ is the white plastic model and is awesome. The Honda has FI and looks to be easier to change the oil on. Oh what to do?

09 Honda has some handling issues, that's probably why they're so cheap. You want an 08 or 10 Honda if going that route.:banana: I would get a WR or KLX (w/lights and old man e button) personally.

Oh wait!, I did that:banana:

Thanks for everyone's input but I am now a proud owner of an 09 YZ450F Limited Edition. Saturday can't come fast enough.

Good buy! I have 09 kx450 and 07 crf450 and that kx is a freakin handful in the bush!

Thanks for everyone's input but I am now a proud owner of an 09 YZ450F Limited Edition. Saturday can't come fast enough.

Nice!!! Congrats man. You got the lady I'm a lookin' for too :banana:

You mind my asking what the otd price was and what dealer?

Keep in touch with how you like it and have fun this weekend!

Well, I took it out for it's maiden voyage today. The only mod I have done so far was to install a scotts performance air screw adjuster which I might add is worth its weight in gold. Anyways, the bike was awesome, it handled great and it's fast. This is my first new bike and first 450. My other rides have all been old beaten up 2 strokes or big bore Honda XR's so this is a change for me. A couple things I noticed, there is no "hit" with this bike. It just smoothly rolls on the power. It's kind of deceiving. I kept waiting for it to launch like a 2 stroke or my buddies 02 CRF450R, but it never did. It had no problems getting up to speed or pulling the front wheel off the ground but it's kind of weird not feeling a "hit". Second is, it's a great feeling to finally have a bike that so willingly responds to me. It seemed like with my older bikes, I was always fighting them, this one just seems happy to do anything. All in all, I'm really happy I bought it and can't wait to ride again. Now I just need to work on going faster.

Well, I took it out for it's maiden voyage today. The only mod I have done so far was to install a scotts performance air screw adjuster which I might add is worth its weight in gold. Anyways, the bike was awesome, it handled great and it's fast. This is my first new bike and first 450. My other rides have all been old beaten up 2 strokes or big bore Honda XR's so this is a change for me. A couple things I noticed, there is no "hit" with this bike. It just smoothly rolls on the power. It's kind of deceiving. I kept waiting for it to launch like a 2 stroke or my buddies 02 CRF450R, but it never did. It had no problems getting up to speed or pulling the front wheel off the ground but it's kind of weird not feeling a "hit". Second is, it's a great feeling to finally have a bike that so willingly responds to me. It seemed like with my older bikes, I was always fighting them, this one just seems happy to do anything. All in all, I'm really happy I bought it and can't wait to ride again. Now I just need to work on going faster.

Sounds like a good purchase!