Sign in to follow this  

In a running engine does the piston ever stop moving?

In a running engine does the piston ever stop moving?  

927 members have voted

1. 1. In a running engine does the piston ever stop moving?

• Yes
    • No

It physically has to for an instantaneous moment in time in order to change direction .... but only for an instantaneous moment in time..... because for that moment thre would be 0 velocity in the upward or downward direction ...

I think.

heh :banana:

yes it stops at the top and at the bottom simple physic says every thing has to stop before it can change direction

The posts about the piston stopping at the top and bottom of each stroke are correct. So yes the piston stops moving while the engine is running. The connecting rod, however, has a continuous motion.

well, technically it never STOPS just changes direction. it always has momentum and therefore movement

Ok, you obiviously have a bet going with someone - what's the terms? :banana:

:lol:

No bet, just wanted to see what people would say.

It depends on how accurate you insist on being. The piston does stop upward motion at TDC and downward motion at BDC for a fraction of a second before changing direstions. But during that brief interval it is also bouncing sideways against the bore surface, so technically there is still "motion", even though the piston is not traveling in a linear direction inside the cylinder.

:crazy:Interesting question,,, I've never even thought about that before .

8000 rpm in 60seconds are133.3 per second =266.6 total strokes...

Or would that be 533 on a 4 stroke ?

In my bike the piston is stopped all the time. When it is running, the rest of the universe just bounces up and down...

• Like 2

In my bike the piston is stopped all the time. When it is running, the rest of the universe just bounces up and down...

Heyyyyyyyyyy, is this Chuck Norris?

Electric engines run and have no pistons. Turbine engines too. :banana: Or was the assumption all engines have pistons? :lol:

No, but the question was about PISTONS, not different types of propulsion....:banana: