Sign in to follow this  

teeny bit of metal on my magnet - first oil change

K Im a bit freaked out - just changed the oil in my 2010 SX-F 450 for the first time and the magnet - which is very cool i've never owned a bike with one - has one little shard of metal on it when I wiped it off. Is this normal for KTMs or should I be freaked out and get it into the dealer.

its normal for the first few changes to get small pieces, after that it should just be fine hair or black dirt looking stuff. If you then get a big piece it may be a problem. Clean the screens and change the filter next time too.

Phew thanks (pant pant) Have a race next weekend in Hanford and I was panicing a bit when I saw it. It was just a fine, hair-like shard. I did also change the filter and didnt see anything in it.

It's from manufacture and is 100% normal, the first oil change IS to flush out the motor I believe.

It's from manufacture and is 100% normal, the first oil change IS to flush out the motor I believe.

Agreed.

I have broken in a few dirt bikes and had this happen with all of them first couple of changes. Change the oil and filter and keep the airfilter clean and you will be golden nothing to worry about..

I heart stopped when I drained my oil the first time as well. I spoke with a few people and they said it was regular. Thank god! lol

I heart stopped when I drained my oil the first time as well. I spoke with a few people and they said it was regular. Thank god! lol

Mine has the same problem, only I have about 9 hrs on the bike. I've done 4 oil changes on it and still have a few small chards of steel (actually it feels more fiber from the clutch friction plates) on it. The screen is relatively clean. How long can I expect this to continue?

It will continue forever. Clutch plates will always leave some metal residue for that magnet to catch. No worries. At all...

The magnet is there to catch stuff from gearbox to enter the rest of the engine.

It will continue forever. Clutch plates will always leave some metal residue for that magnet to catch. No worries. At all...

The magnet is there to catch stuff from gearbox to enter the rest of the engine.

Thanks ville,

I figured as much, but it's still nice to hear it from someone who knows all about these bikes. :thumbsup:

Thanks ville,

I figured as much, but it's still nice to hear it from someone who knows all about these bikes. :thumbsup:

I don´t know it all (by a long shot) but i´ve learned quite a bit during many years with the Orange Brand.

ALL 4 strokes should have a magnet in the oil supply, and for that matter, 2 strokes in the xmission. It should be a LAW!

... and behold - KTM has had that since the beginning of times. Even on two-strokes ...