Sign in to follow this  

How good of a woods bike is a 250F?

I already have sellers remorse for selling my 250R woods ike, I have a 250X, but another guy I know has a 06 250F, he has just gone through, he picked up a 10, and kept the 06. Anyway I have a Sea Doo 3D, that he wants to trade me straight across for. I'm thinking of doing it, but i'm not sure if I can make another woods bike out it, or can I? Is it possible to stuff a 250R smoker in the place of the thumper?

How good of a woods bike is a 250F?

Terrible.

It's amazing how well almost any 2 stroke can take to the woods. 4 strokes, motocross versions in particular suck in serious off road, overheating, ruining clutches, overheating kills valve life etc.

(off road models are better but after riding a 300ktm xc 2 stroke, I would never want a 250x)

I own and race 2 bikes strictly used for woods racing at a fast A level pace.

Bike 1, is an 07 yz 250 2t. 13oz fww, fmf sst pipe, WER suspension, scotts stabilizer,all the guards you can think of, a rekluse e-axle, Evans waterless coolant, and FLexx bars, and Off set triple clamps. I use this bike for faster tracks and for tracks that are really muddy.

Bike 2, is a basically stock 09' crf 250. I've had only the forks revalved by WER, the rear didn't need it IMO. Flexx bars,all guards.Both bike have REkluse clutches in them. You get the picture.

I have to admit the 250f is the better bike for racing in the woods. I have a ton of time and $ into the yz and it's simply not as good of a woods racing bike as a basically stock crf. I like both bikes ,but I can simply ride the crf faster over a longer period of time while using less energy. My results in class and overall don't seem to change much,no matter what bike i race that day, but I do know I'm much less tired when I get off the crf, and that's a fact. Don't let anyone tell you the crf doesn't have enough low end power/torque. I use the clutch LESS on the 250crf than I do on the yz. I even find it hard to believe, but it is for sure true.

Edited by rtv
  • Like 1

I own and race 2 bikes strictly used for woods racing at a fast A level pace.

Bike 1 is an 07 yz 250 2t. 13oz fww, fmf sst pipe, WER suspension, scotts stabilizer,all the guards you can think of, a rekluse e-axle, Evans waterless coolant, and FLexx bars, and Off set triple clamps. I use this bike for faster track and for tracks that are really muddy.

Bike 2 is a basically stock 09' crf 250. I've had only the forks revalved by WER, the rear didn't need it. Flexx bars,all guards.Both bike have REkluse clutches in them. You get the picture.

I have to admit the 250f is the better bike for racing in the woods. I have a ton of time and $ into the yz and it's simply not as good of a woods racing bike as a basically stock crf. I like both bikesbut I can simply ride the crf faster over a longer period of time while using less energy. My results in class and overall don't seem to change much,no matter what bike i race that day, but I do know I'm much less tired when I get off the crf, and that's a fact. Don't let anyone tell you the crf doesn't have enough low end power/torque. I use the clutch LESS on the 250crf than I do on the yz. I even find it hard to believe, but it is for sure true.

Are you running the rear 19", larger tank, stock exhaust, etc?

Are you running the rear 19", larger tank, stock exhaust, etc?

Yes, stock 19 rear wheel with a Bridgestone UHD tube.I tried the tubliss system, but couldn't get more than 2 races/rides out of a brand new tires, dunlop mx 51's, or bridgestone 404's witout getting a flat. I use the larger tank off of a crf 250X, and yes the exhaust is stock.

I'm looking at this from purely a racing prospective. If you were to ask which bike is more fun to trail ride and race every once and awhile, I've gotta say the 2t yz is the more fun bike to just ride. It's nice too have options though.

Love the 69rs in your avatar. I have a 69ss.

Edited by rtv

Good riding buddy has a 2010 CRF250R, it ROCKS as an offroad race bike, everyone who has ridden it loves it!