Sign in to follow this  

Will a 250R smoker work in a 250F frame??

I have pretty much given up finding a 02-06 250R (everyone thinks their worth a mint aound here)for another woods bike, I can find 250F's evey where for little cash (bad motors, poor condition, etc) I have a 01 250R engine and was wonderin what is involved in making it fit? Will a FMF 02-06 exhaust work? I have one of those also. The ragged out ones work better anyway since I'm going to change out so much stuff anyway, but even those in the 2 stroke the owners think their worth their weight gold?????

Thanks in advance.

Well there are bunches who are getting 500 motors shoehorned in the 250f frame so I can't imagine a 250 2t being a issue

Well there are bunches who are getting 500 motors shoehorned in the 250f frame so I can't imagine a 250 2t being a issue

Any kits to help, or am I on my own?

not kits that I know of but if you go over to bannedcr500riders.com or cr500riders.com you can check out their AF swap sections to get the ideas of what would be involved.. Also MPS llc does this stuff for folks all the time.. check them out

For the 500, you have to cut out the Y and raise it, change the mounts, swingarm spacers, mod the airbox, etc, etc. The 250 should be similar.

Some replace the cradle completely for a cleaner look but I've just raised the Y and added extensions on mine (see pic).

It's alot of work but you'll have a sweet bike when you're done.

X2 on checking out the 500 sites. :banana:

IMG_5980_web.jpg

I just got done doing my 05 crf 250 frame, that i am putting in a 97 cr 250 motor in. I replaced the whole cradle cause i thought it looked better. Where in Washington do you live? I am in Spokane. I could walk you through it if you are going to do it. I could also make you up the cradle tubing if your interested in that.

I just got done doing my 05 crf 250 frame, that i am putting in a 97 cr 250 motor in. I replaced the whole cradle cause i thought it looked better. Where in Washington do you live? I am in Spokane. I could walk you through it if you are going to do it. I could also make you up the cradle tubing if your interested in that.

That would be great, I live north of Chelan in Pateros. It looks like the cradle is the way to go, I see Service Honda does that also.

Are you guys in california? I need to buy up a truckload of CR250's and bring them out and resell them at a roadside stand I guess, lol. You can pick up 03' and up CR250's for next to nothing out here in Texas. I recently grabbed an 03' w/an FMF, new tires,chain, sprox, easton bars, ASV levers, and all new plastics for $1200.

Are you guys in california? I need to buy up a truckload of CR250's and bring them out and resell them at a roadside stand I guess, lol. You can pick up 03' and up CR250's for next to nothing out here in Texas. I recently grabbed an 03' w/an FMF, new tires,chain, sprox, easton bars, ASV levers, and all new plastics for $1200.

You could easily double your money on that bike here. :banana:

You could easily double your money on that bike here. :banana:

Same here, 05+ CRs have all been listed for 3500+. 02-04s for 2400-2900. Even the 97-01s have been going for 1800 - 2000... Crazy.

I just sold a 2004 cr250 last year in great shape for $2000. Had it listed for $2300 for several months thou. I'm in wisconsin.

i might be wrong, but i think all the 2 strokes we love, are going to be vintage, and ALOT of money soon..........my .02

I apparently got a steal on my 05. Low hour, basicly stock, over 2 yrs ago bought it for $2K.

my friend has a smackin barely used 02 Honda CRF 450R He thought he wanted to ride and only rode it around in a grassy field he he. He is asking 2200.00