Get that dancing monkey off your back! Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

No oil getting to the head - Updated 17 March Cylinder off

Well I got my head back from eddie yesterday with new valves and cam journals fixed. Got every thing put back together with a new cam chain. I reused the clutch cover gasket because it had less than 150 miles on it. Did the loctite mods while it was all part. Refilled with new oil and coolant and started the bike for about 30 seconds. I tell from the start it has some serious compression now but I shut it off to check for oil flow. Took the bolt out and pulled the plug boot and got to cranking. Nothing. No Oil. Made a video and took some pics. The guy I bought it from put an E model base gasket on it. All good but it seems to be letting oil seep through. Im not an expert by any means. But maybe the base gasket is blocking the oil passage by half and it is saturating the gasket. Here are the pics and video.

th_MOV03950.jpg

DSC03958.jpg

DSC03957.jpg

DSC03956.jpg

DSC03954.jpg

School me!

Edited by BONESTOCK

Put the plug back in and start it up. I'll bet you get oil flow. It looks like it is trying.

Forgot to add the bike smokes now when I rev it a little. Didnt do this before.

Put the plug back in and start it up. I'll bet you get oil flow. It looks like it is trying.

I did that and cranked it with the valve cover off. I dont know how much oil is suposed to be coming up.

It started spitting it out better and maybe it will get better as the oil warms.

th_MOV03959.jpg

Hmm. OK. In post 1 you say you just got the head back after having the cam journals fixed. Cam journal problems are usually lack of oil. You seem to still have an oiling problem. Might be worth it to dig deeper. Oil pump, oil pump drive gear, oil filter, oil screens, oil passages, gaskets, that little "O" ring between the case and outer cover??????..........

It certainly looks like you found the cause of your trouble. Now you need to find the cause of the cause.

Hmm. OK. In post 1 you say you just got the head back after having the cam journals fixed. Cam journal problems are usually lack of oil. You seem to still have an oiling problem. Might be worth it to dig deeper. Oil pump, oil pump drive gear, oil filter, oil screens, oil passages, gaskets, that little "O" ring between the case and outer cover??????..........

If the oil pump was bad wouldnt it not pump at all. Im convinced a passage is blocked somewhere. I just dont even know where to begin. I just clean the oil screen coming from the oil tank. The oring is behind the oil filter.

Also the o ring on the oil filter cover is in place. How would I go about cleaning oil passages? Take the oil filter out and blow air through them from there? I dunno maybe some funky stuff would come out.

It certainly looks like you found the cause of your trouble. Now you need to find the cause of the cause.

Doesnt seem like enough oil to me. On my first DRZ I made the stupid noob mistake of taking the oil dipstick out. Fun time!

Im getting agitated at this bike man. Seems to be one thing after another.

I hate to say it but I think the next step is to pull the cylinder. And if the oil pump is bad it may still pump but at much lower volume.

I hate to say it but I think the next step is to pull the cylinder. And if the oil pump is bad it may still pump but at much lower volume.

Do I need to pull the cylinder to change the oil pump? I saw it under the clutch cover?

I hope your right man.

Not the "O" ring in the oil filter cavity. That makes no difference. An oil filter put in backwards can be bad. (I know his seems impossible but on a Honda it is common) There is a square section "O" ring between the inner primary cover and the engine case. A warn oil pump might leak so much internally the out put is low. There is an oil passage restrictor under the cylinder. Might be plugged up or missing. Oddly enough missing might be just as bad as plugged.

Not the "O" ring in the oil filter cavity. That makes no difference. An oil filter put in backwards can be bad. (I know his seems impossible but on a Honda it is common) There is a square section "O" ring between the inner primary cover and the engine case. A warn oil pump might leak so much internally the out put is low. There is an oil passage restrictor under the cylinder. Might be plugged up or missing. Oddly enough missing might be just as bad as plugged.

Ok so where should I start? I dont recall seeing a square O ring? Ill have to pull it back off again and check it out? SHould I pull the cams and oil filter out and blow air back through from the top of the head or pull the head? Is there any way to test the oil pump?

Thanks in advance to all of you!

definately not oiling enough.

checked the plastic oil pump gear?

remove #12 and start the motor jeut breifly.

http://fiche.ronayers.com/Index.cfm/Module/Main/TypeID/26/Type/Motorcycle/MakeID/2/Make/Suzuki/YearID/46/Year/2005/ModelID/7050/Model/DR-Z400S/GroupID/304595/Group/CRANKCASE_COVER

if oil comes out briskly you have a blockage in the passaeg tot the head.likely the oil jet under the cylinder.

definately not oiling enough.

checked the plastic oil pump gear?

remove #12 and start the motor jeut breifly.

http://fiche.ronayers.com/Index.cfm/Module/Main/TypeID/26/Type/Motorcycle/MakeID/2/Make/Suzuki/YearID/46/Year/2005/ModelID/7050/Model/DR-Z400S/GroupID/304595/Group/CRANKCASE_COVER

if oil comes out briskly you have a blockage in the passaeg tot the head.likely the oil jet under the cylinder.

Did that and had a nice healthy stream of oil. And guess what. Its already grey looking. Im guessing thats from not being filtered.

What do I do next?

It's probably grey from having aluminum in it. Sorry.

Next step would be to look for plugged oil passages.

Probably gonna have to pull the cylinder to get to the oil jet.

Could it be that the guy who installed the e-base gasket used a fair amount of gasket sealant?

So much that it's plugging the passage to the head?

Strange looking base gasket indeed.

Grey smoke on revving might indicate bad pistonring seal.

I had that after someone installed the e-base gasket on mine.

He took the piston out of the cyl and put it back in afterwards.

That broke the ring seal. It started to use oil after.

Bigbore install fixed that.

Good luck on fixing the issue!

Well shit. I guess just blowing the oil passages from the filter is out then. I wonder if i can reuse this head gasket.