Need HELP! Won't Start, Backfiring

Are you sure you are getting spark?

I had a similar problem after doing a high comp/bigbore on a warrior 350. ign switch was bad. it would turn over and sound like it wanted to start, but it was just preignition and no spark.

On the later models (the ones with dual pickups) its possible to install the pickup coil backwards (don't ask how I know!) in which case it won't align with the magnet in the flywheel and there won't be spark. Take a look at the parts fiche and be sure yours is aligned properly.

Thanks guys but I definatley have spark. Took both spark plugs out and they both have spark. The bike is a 2001 DR 650. It has a rumble and sounds like it wants to start, but no damn cigar. Does anyone know how to check the timing on these things?

• 3 weeks later...

TN2Wheeler was right but it was the wiring not the installation. I was searching the DR forum and found someone who was having pretty much the exact same problem. The pickup coil comes with 2 wires, a blue and a green. The DR650 also has the blue and green wire. I assumed that green goes to green and blue goes to blue. WRONG! I switched the wires and the bike fired right up. Thanks to TT and the guy who posted that thread.

• 2 months later...

Yes I'm the one that posted that thread a couple of years back. Doesn't make sense but won't work when it's wired color-color- Wire it backwards and it will start right up. FYI too use some heat shrink on the wires to give extra protection..

Yes I'm the one that posted that thread a couple of years back. Doesn't make sense but won't work when it's wired color-color- Wire it backwards and it will start right up. FYI too use some heat shrink on the wires to give extra protection..

Uh, yeah. And I'm the one who told you. I think yours and mine failed close to the same time.

https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=706244&page=2

Not that it really matters as long as the info is out there so people can get their bikes running!