USWE SPORTS ACTION HYDRO PACKS GIVEAWAYS!!! Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

new guy, off a 06 250f and onto a 05/06 yz250, lovin it

well i used to be a quad guy, bought a burnt up 03 rm250 for change and i've been wheelin and dealin bikes since. i didn't keep the rm cause it was too much for me at the time to transition from quads. but now i'm back on 250 2t and love it.

had the yz250f and had everything on it, hot cams, fmf mega bomb header and slip on, port work, the works. and after about a month i wasn't getting the adrenaline rush anymore when i opened it up. felt real comfortable in ever aspect, so my rational was to upgrade.

i do mostly trail/free riding, so a 450f didn't suit my needs. i found this guy local and i'm happy with it.

it's a 05 yz250 with 06 suspension on it. the kid weighed 125 and i'm 185 so the only major thing left is to dial in the suspension and put a gnarly pipe on it. came with a pro circuit exhaust setup and the stock. applied triple clamps, 06 forks and shock, fresh top and bottom end, new wheel bearings, new seat cover, blah blah

of course i did some searching around here and got to work on it today. so far i've done the following and am open to suggestions on anything else

changed oil

new plug (old one was gapped to .017, explained a slight sputter)

thorough cleaning of the whole bike

adjusted timing to -2 degrees to help on the trails

threw some "high" pro taper bars (i'm 6 ft)

adjusted front fork settting (guesstimate until i go ride)

adjust clutch cable

fresh gas

cleaned air filter

and just did some cosmetic stuff (polished plastics/graphics, painted case covers)

anyways, did some usual maintainence that was needed, and a few things to help me out when i go ride for the first time next weekend, it's raining and 40 today. but that worked out well cause i don't trust anyone and would rather go through all these things first. also gonna re-grease everything on the bike (suspension, steering)

still need to do:

get gnarly pipe

new flywheel cover gasket

set rear sag

check current jets

WHAT ELSE?

here's some pics

after a good cleaning, he was riding the day i bought it, made me feel better it wasn't pieced together to sell, should've done a before picture

9f990101.jpg

and how it sits now until the paint dries and i get a new gasket

6dc81080.jpg

2f05e292.jpg

a779172c.jpg

e9fdb42b.jpg

75a4ede4.jpg

and here's the one i sold. i gotta order the plastics and graphics again cause i loved the look of this bike. so damn clean

48d8d47d.jpg

6ab40bb0.jpg

nice i have the same bike. it is straight up awesome. i bent up my pipe and have been considering the gnarly, but I do 50/50 woods and track riding and wasn't sure if the gnarly would hurt on the track, although i would appreciate some low end and smooth power there too.

I hear a steahly flywheel weight is awesome on this bike too

yeah, i'm gonna start with the timing mod. if the hit is still a little much, then i'm definately gonna put the weight on. gonna do this one step at a time so i know what mod affects on it's own. gnarly is first up and hopefully i'll have one by this weekend. gotta find the best price

I'm all about protection... Barkbusters(hands, levers) radguards (those rads look awesome for an05) skidplate, pipeguard, etc. There are lots of guys that don't like fwws I put mine on to ease the transition from a 250f and found a surprise benifit it seems to settle the rear suspension down under moderate acceleration over rooty rocky ground, nothing scientific but enough to convince me to leave it on.

You'll find the screws on the carb are junk(at least for this hack) and the Allen bolt holding the kickstarter on comes loose about once a year... Looks like a great bike you've got for yourself!

Ohh by the way for the first month or so you'll blow corners on your regular trails all the time and be convinced you've turned into a slug on two wheels... Stick with it it's just a little different rythm you have to get used to, and bone-stock this bike will keep climbing long after your feet have left the footpegs, your seat is covered in bellysweat and the revs are lower than an f at idle... Just keep twisting... It keeps chugging! Awesome, enjoy.

Is it me..Or does every guy who sells a bike say it has a fresh top-end.

Nice bike, too bad you couldn't keep em both. Or did you?

have the paperwork to show the work, but yeah, everyone seems to say that when they sell it. and i didn't keep the other one, sold it and had some money left over to put this one together the way i want.

and i ended up ordering the steahly fw weight today. did some research and found something interesting about putting a small spacer on the 05 pipe. so i'm gonna try that out and hold off on the gnarly. i do trails, but get into a lot of open area too. so i didn't wanna lose out on performance. i haven't even rode this thing for real yet, so a lot has yet to be determined. i'm going out in the morning on friday and doing some testing and getting everything dialed in. just for fun, and then goin out all day saturday and doing all the stuff i used to do on the 250f and see what i wanna change

...and bone-stock this bike will keep climbing long after your feet have left the footpegs, your seat is covered in bellysweat and the revs are lower than an f at idle... Just keep twisting... It keeps chugging!
:banana::smirk::banana: :banana: :banana::lol:

So true, so true...

:banana:

To the O.P... How did your prep to apply the Rust-oleum to your engine cases? How is it holding up? Can you post a pic with them on the bike?

I like the look of them, and I am considering doing this to my bike and would like some input. THANKS :banana:

That, and what was the exact color code/ part number of the paint?

rode today for about an hour after fixing my flywheel crank thread problem. the paint held up great. no scuffs or anything. plan on going all day tomorrow and i'll let you know if my boots do any damage

prep was easy. for the clutch cover i used a wire wheel on my drill to get in the letter portion and the corners. then some 200 grit sandpaper. obviously cleaned very well before and after sanding. and just used 200 grit on the flywheel cover. it also took off the scuffs that were on it. i'll go snap a pic in a minute and show how they are today after riding. no difference.

once sanded and cleaned, i did 3 light coats and then set them inside for 48 hours to cure. they're rock solid now and should hold up pretty well. i expect a few scuffs over time, but that's the name of the game

and for the part number, just go to lowe's or something and look in the paint area. brand is rustoleum just like the pic. and just pick the color you want. they have a few different ones out there. i'd actually suggest the brush on style that comes in a can. but i had this handy and used it. i used the brush on style on my roll cage of my car and it holds up great. doesn't show any wear

• Like 1

Update on the engine cover and clutch cover paint??

Yeah- I would love to see some more pictures in the sunlight if there is any out there right now- have never been a fan of the gray plastic flywheel cover- when you say you sanded everything and used the wire wheel- did you strip it down to bare metal? Any prep for the plastic? Thanks