Sign in to follow this  

2001 cr500r

I am seventeen, 5 11, about 200lbs and I just sold my RMX250, and am going to buy a 2001 CR500R soon. I have always wanted one, and have read up a lot about them. I have been riding for almost a year, and can outride most of my friends with at least three or four years of experience. All my friends (who ride 250F's) say no, but I just gotta have one. Can anyone offer me any tips on riding a bike this big, I mainly ride the trails and hillclimbs. Thanks a lot. wish me luck.

I have ridden a few of those beasts over the years. The last one I rode was set up with a huge flywheel weight. It was amazing. It was ultra powerful but tamed (controllable). If you plan to ride off road then make the big flywheel weight your first upgrade.

--KT--

I love my 500 but couldn't imagine it being someone's only bike. They are surprisingly versatile and you can ride fairly tight trails on it, but the motor will spoil you. I would recommend a smaller bike to get your skills sharp and the 500 for just dicking around on. I think everyone should have a 125 to beat on. Sounds like you know what you're doing though so take everyones' advice with a grain of salt.

I've ridden big bore 2 strokes for years, starting around 16yrs old. Is the RMX a thumper? If it's a 2 stroke, you will probably be suprised by how much you are not suprised. If you've been on a 4 stroke, it will be different.

Don't listen to the hype--the CR500's are really easy to ride and as stated by John, very versatile. You will be fine especially once you learn not to grip the throttle too hard through whoops. Save money for rear tires. I wouldn't add a flywheel weight, but I do like the fmf gnarly pipe (it gives more low end power and less power band, but it feels flatter on top than the stock). Some people have seen God on them while going really fast and then discovering headshake, but I've never had too much trouble. If you hillclimb with a 2 stroke, you have to control your wheel speed with your clutch to stay in the power (not as much with the throttle).

My 01 CR500 is my only bike. I just don't have as much fun on other bikes. You should be warned that the bike in general hasn't been redesigned since 91, so you are effectively buying a 20 year old bike. I ride off road, and rarely find someone who rides faster than my pace. Despite the fact that the engine is fantastic, the chassis really does show its age vs some of the newer suspension/setups. I finally faced up to this fact and am just finishing my conversion to an aluminum frame (generation 3) 500. I just can't give up the low maintenance, low cost, fun, powerful CR500 engine. Have fun with your new bike. I'll bet you like it. Feel free to pm me with any specific questions.

I have ridden a friend's 125 and love the hell out of that little thing. Its either nothing or everything on those bikes. They are great, and I would buy 10 of em if I had the money, but I am kinda broke, and dont have a job. I borrowed money from my parents found my first bike (crf230f) on craigslist 9 months ago, and have traded up to the RMX, and soon to the 500.

I owned a 97 and really liked it. Get the suspension done!

There fun as hell to ride.

the 500 can be a great trail bike.. I have ridden them for years and just built a cr500AF.. it suits almost all my needs.. Short shift them and have a blast!!

the 500 can be a great trail bike.. I have ridden them for years and just built a cr500AF.. it suits almost all my needs.. Short shift them and have a blast!!

what gen frame did you build? What kind of trail riding do you do and can you give a comparison of steelie vs. AF? I've started to ride some pretty gnarly trails and wonder how an AF would do.

How is a 500 on trails for gas? Sucks to run out in the middle of no where..

I ask this because when me and my two brothers were out camping, we went on a 3 hour trail. My one brother had a yz250 and the other a yz125, they both were sipping gas and seemed to use about equal amounts in which I thought was strange..

I get better mileage on my 500 than my other bikes. Ride it off the pipe and is really good