Sign in to follow this  

Why no gas shutoff?

I just bought a new 2009 DRZ 400S. I haven't bought a new bike in years. Why does the gas valve not have an "off" position? It has on and reserve and the third position is supposed to be used when you have an empty carburator. What's that about?

Thanks

It also has a vacuum line running to it. The vacuum turns the petcock on once the engine starts. When you shut the bike off the vacuum stops and the gas is shut off.

On all my other equipment, I like to run out the fuel in the carb. It seems to keep it from clogging when the engine isn't used for a few weeks or a month. Does this setup mean I can't do that on the DRZ?

Will using Sea Foam accomplish the same thing?

For short term storage seafoam or sta-bil will work. For longer periods pull the vacuum line and run the carb dry.

The vacuum line plugs into the right rear of the petcock which turns the petcock on while the engine is runnign. Im going to guess that if you unplug this it will create an "off" situation. This is just me thinking out loud here, so don't try this until someone else with more experience confirms.

Did your new motorcycle come with an owners manual? Suzuki has used vacuum operated petcocks since the late 60's

Since there is no high fuel level drain on the carb the engine will flood if the gas is not shut off. So Suzuki does it for you.

I put a short length of hose on the nipple on the bottom of the carb and, using the drain screw, drain the carb almost every time I ride it.

It also has a vacuum line running to it. The vacuum turns the petcock on once the engine starts. When you shut the bike off the vacuum stops and the gas is shut off.

x2

Be careful. Those petcocks have been know to fail and fill your transmission with gas. It happend to me. Here's my solution:

000_1421.jpg

Be careful. Those petcocks have been know to fail and fill your transmission with gas. It happend to me. Here's my solution:

000_1421.jpg

I like it. Where'd you get it?

Or try some of the lawn and garden equipment guys. They often use SOs like that.

Zeerx - Thanks for the picture! I thought about replacing the Suzuki petcock but this is really a better idea. This is exactly what I want to do!

Anybody see any problems with what Zeerx has done?

X2 for that being an ingenious idea. Most of the time the vacuum petcock is a real convenience, but for longer storage the idea of a back up manual valve is great, and that one is so small and unobtrusive.

I laugh at the image of some mental midget stealing the bike and never getting anywhere as well.