Sign in to follow this  

XR80 Shock/fork spacers

Just wondering if anyone has tried to add a spacer to the rear shock spring to add stiffness. I know it won't help with dampening, but I'm thinking it would be about the same effect as a stiffer spring such as the $90 BBR for the XR100. If I can get the same results with $0, that's what I'm going to do. Same with the front forks. I'm thinking of adding a spacer and thicker oil with a higher oil level. I'm thinking it has to be just as good as stiffer springs. What's your thoughts?

Edited by fletchman919

I put a 1/4 inch shim under my spring. It worked nice and did not lose all shock damping. Made some jigs to compress the spring and cut the shim out of 1/4" aluminum. A friend did the BBR spring and blew out his shock, turned it into a pogo stick. He had to upgrade to a works shock. The stock shock can not damp a strong spring.

I used a 3/8" stack of washers in each fork and added an inch of fluid. I'm 160lbs. and felt the 20W got harsh for woods tracks so I stayed with the 5W. Take the forks all apart with the allen key at the bottom, super easy and you will be surprised how much more junk comes out.:banana:

Just save up for Works shock :banana:. Check out www.xr100.com for front forks modification. It IS more money for this stuff, but you know the saying "you get what you pay for".

Thanks for the comments!

I just added 2" of spacers to the forks. It's a lot stiffer. I didn't change the oil. I weigh 190 lbs. I'm expecting a pogo stick, but I'll see how bad it is. I'm thinking I will go down to a 1" spacer and 20w oil. I'm thinking that thicker oil will help dampen it some.

I'm working on making a jig for the shock now. I have one half of the jig made. I was planning on 1/2" on spacer to start and go from there. I'm experimenting as I have no idea how this is going to turn out.

I took the stock foot pegs off of my KTM and ground them down a little to fit the XR. They are much wider and a little longer than stock.

00drzs, do you have a pic of your jig? I think mine will work, but it's still just a picture in my head as of now.

I added about a 1 3/8" bar spacer so the bars are a little higher.

Wow 2" in the forks, I know you had fun getting that fork cap back on, hope you did not cross thread, Ha. I do small jumps and save the big air for the 450. Inside the fork there are holes for oil to flow through for rebound damp. You can weld up and drill smaller but don't forget they are xr forks. When I case it I laugh and remind myself I am on a play bike.

As for the jig, I used 2 good wood pieces like Oak and drilled a hole in each maybe like 1 3/4 so the shock can fit through them and used C-clamps. Metal would be better because its thinner so you do not have to compress as much and easier to get the C-clamps on. Made the ring the same as the shock size. 1/4 helped firmed it up, 1/2 may blow it out like a bbr.

Cost nothing and tooling on bikes is always cool, good luck.

Thanks for the fork mod idea! I just might do that if this doesn't work out.

My first jig didn't work so I made another and it got the job done although it still wasn't easy. I only added 1/4" of spacer to the rear. It firmed it up some. I'm thinking I'll add another 1/4" someday.

The fork caps were a PITA. I didn't cross thread, but I was worried. I challenge anyone to add more than 2" and get the caps on. LOL!

To my surprise, the bike feels pretty balanced when I stand because most of my weight is over the bars. When I sit, it's obvious that the front is much stiffer. I'm going to take an inch out and I think it'll be about right.

You have to CUT the fork spring to make it stiffer, otherwise you're basically just pre-loading it and setting it up for potential binding of the spring. So if you cut it an inch then add an inch spacer, it will be stiffer and it won't bind.

It seems to be working fine. What you say kinda makes sense to me, but I admit that I don't fully understand. I don't see how that would make much if any difference unless it was a progressive spring. I thought preload is what I was aiming for. Preload stiffens the spring, right? My KTM has adjustable preload. I turn it in to add preload which is ultimately the same as adding a spacer.

Worst case scenario, what's going to happing if the springs bind? And how probable is that since the springs fit in the forks pretty well?

I want to be clear that I'm not being a smart butt. I really want to know. Thanks!

2" of spacer in the forks is definitely too much! I tested it today and the rebound is crazy. I'm going to go with 1" and heavy oil for sure.

I now have 1" spacers and it seems to be about right. Still haven't added the heavier oil. I'm going to take it riding tomorrow on some trails and see how it does. As of now, I see no reason to buy heavier springs when you can add spacers.

I took it on a long, grueling trail ride today. The springs are perfect for a 190 pound rider. It definitely needs thicker oil in the forks though. The dampening isn't quite there. The forks rebounded pretty harsh a few times. I jumped the bike probably 3 feet in the air multiple times and it soaked it up beautifully. I wouldn't do much more than that though.

The stock 80cc engine was getting the job done, but it would be awesome to have a 125 on it. The fun factor would be off the meter.

Here's my pit bike so far.

Mods are:

fork and shock spacers

wide KTM pegs

bar risers

FMF pipe

I want:

new tires

tall seat

modified cam or 120BBK

100_1373.jpg

100_1372.jpg

I have a total of $100 in this bike so far. That's including the bike! I traded a $100 go-kart for a street bike. Made a bobber out of the bike and traded it for this XR. The parts I had laying around the garage. I cut my own numbers out of some old background material I had.