What to know when buying a used 450x?

Great site!

I think I have narrowed my search down to the 450x...I am a recovering 2-stoke junkie and am ready to get a thumper. I really want electric start and a kickstand...so that leaves me with a 450x or a wr450 with my only really choices...I am looking at a '05 450x and want to know if there is anything specific to look for. Also is there a big difference between the '05-07? I am on a budget so a new bike is not in the works. I think I can pick up the bike for $3500-$3600. I don't have alot of choices since it is the only bike on CL in san diego. TONS of R's for sale cheap...but not alot of X's

Any feedback would be great. Thanks!

I always look for the condition of the side case covers and the lower frame points where there is a lot of boot rub. If very little rub, then low hours, if a lot, then a lot of hours. Also look at the oil on the dipstick. Smell it. Some guys will tell you to taste it but that's going a little too far in my book. Is it clean and amber or milkish looking? Look at the radiator fluid. Is it greenish (or some other color) clear or milky as well? Are the fins covered? What does the air filter look like? Are there a lot of scratches on the plastics? Rims not bent? Cables pull and return freely? Battery charged and kicks the bike over? How long does it take to start the bike? A bike that is hard to start usually means that the valves need to be either adjusted or replaced. All gears slot nicely? Any slippage with the clutch?

I could go on for hours on this. Mostly, how clean is the bike? That will tell you a lot about it.

I would recomend the WR450. Because the stupid valves on the honda's go out, and have to be replaced. Kind of spendy. The yamaha's valves are bullet proof.

I do like my x though just hate the stupid valve problems. It is like this on EVERY CRF.

Other than the valves on the honda the bike is great. So plan on spending $700 in the future for some machine work and new stainless steel valves.

Just my two cents.

Either way you will love the bike you get.

Also look at other CL postings in other citys or states nearby.

I would recomend the WR450. Because the stupid valves on the honda's go out, and have to be replaced. Kind of spendy. The yamaha's valves are bullet proof.

I do like my x though just hate the stupid valve problems. It is like this on EVERY CRF.

Other than the valves on the honda the bike is great. So plan on spending $700 in the future for some machine work and new stainless steel valves.

Just my two cents.

Either way you will love the bike you get.

Also look at other CL postings in other citys or states nearby.

500 hours on a set of OEM intakes:thumbsup:

I'm stoked:thumbsup:

Had to stop at festa island on the way home and try her out...

can't wait to hit oct. wells this weekend. This week I will be doing a full service on her and getting to know my way around this thumper.

wcmarine, when doing the service on your bike make sure to add one full quart of oil in the tranny side not just 700ml. And add only 700ml to engine oil side do not over fill.

The reason for this is in 05' and early 06' a few gears did not get enough lubrication and would cause the tranny to cease on extended rides. If you look back far enough in this forum you will find that this was a heavly discussed topic. I Have a 06' and run a full quart in the tranny every time to help prevent this problem.

Figured I would let you know what I have found here at TT.

Congrats on the new bike. I am sure you will love it.

You are one of the few that have had good luck. Do you stay off the top end when riding? I hope to have my bike's top end last that long.

Change the air filter regularly, and grab a gear instead of riding high rpms for a extended period of time.

I dunno it depends on what I am doing, I do have a bad habit of banging the rev limiter when the terrain allows. I am just very very picky about my maintenance schedule plus running the valves at .004 and .006 seems to relly help a chit ton.

[/img]

I always look for the condition of the side case covers and the lower frame points where there is a lot of boot rub. If very little rub, then low hours, if a lot, then a lot of hours. Also look at the oil on the dipstick. Smell it. Some guys will tell you to taste it but that's going a little too far in my book. Is it clean and amber or milkish looking? Look at the radiator fluid. Is it greenish (or some other color) clear or milky as well? Are the fins covered? What does the air filter look like? Are there a lot of scratches on the plastics? Rims not bent? Cables pull and return freely? Battery charged and kicks the bike over? How long does it take to start the bike? A bike that is hard to start usually means that the valves need to be either adjusted or replaced. All gears slot nicely? Any slippage with the clutch?

I could go on for hours on this. Mostly, how clean is the bike? That will tell you a lot about it.

You hit the nail on the head with this post! I bought my 2005 CRF450X for 4500.00 almost a year ago. I went back and fourth about the WR450 and the CRF450. Everything I read about the Yamaha indicated that spending the large amount of money on the bike it took a little extra "un-cork" it. My side cases had no scrathces, plastics were in good shape, the seat brand new looking. Graphics looked great, I treat it with alot of care also. I change the oil about every 3-4 rides, run a full quart in the tranny. And it always gets washed as soon a I get home. I figure that I put about 200-300 mile on it this summer. You get out of it what you put into it. Maintenance is key

Changed oil and tranny today...(full qt in the tranny)

Did the pink wire mod...

the bike came with the airbox cut out, the carb re-jetted, an aftermarket exhaust, and a works skidplate.

I think I got the bacic mods done...Im going to do a few mods and throw some money into the suspension and new tires.

I have to call bs on that. If its true then you must be putting that thing around at 3000rpm. I found the honda valves to be shady at best

Just over 250hrs on mine before I did the valves. Should have done it a bit sooner (200hrs) as I had to remove a bit more material than I'd have liked for the valve seats. Second set of valves just went in recently. Bike now has just over 500hrs. Always used OEM replacement parts...

You are one of the few that have had good luck. Do you stay off the top end when riding? I hope to have my bike's top end last that long. ............

Really?! He's not the only "LUCKY" one... and FYI, I've got a buddy who's had two WRs, maintains them (more than) religiously... the kind of guy who takes oil containers and will change his oil mid ride at about every 200 miles. He's lost both bikes at 4500-5500 miles. Now, he WONT ride his newest WR on long rides. Tell me the WR is more reliable than my X, and I'll show you that it's an ignorant statement.

I'm stoked:thumbsup:

Had to stop at festa island on the way home and try her out...

can't wait to hit oct. wells this weekend. This week I will be doing a full service on her and getting to know my way around this thumper.

WOW... killer!! So you bought the one on Craigs?!

And took a quick ride around Fiesta?! Now thats funny!! Total ticket (and possibly worse) if you get caught. Be careful.

Welcome to the 450X world... we camp at Superstition, or Plaster City about every other week, or at minimum once a month. Let me know if your heading out!

Thats the only thing that sucks about buying a used bike....I really have know idea how many hours are on the thing. There are no indications the engine has been apart.

Don't fret over it. Just check the valves, and ride it. Do your periodic maintenance and know you've done your part. If that bike was that super clean '05 one I saw just this past week... it seems rarely ridden, or rarely abused. I think my bike looks worse than that after it's second ride. :banana: