2010 YZ 450 hour meter / radiator braces

Two questions about a 2010 YZ 450 that my wife just picked up last weekend.

1) How do you get that piece of plastic up so I can install the wire from the hour meter onto the spark plug wire. the piece of plastic I am referring to is black and has no bolts back by the shock. It has the plastic pins like on a crf 50 radiator shroud, but I can't figure out how to get them to "pop" up.

2) If I get Dr D radiator lowering kit, can I use works connection radiator braces (doesn't look it to me). On my 09, i didn't need the braces because the radiators had external supports. So I just installed the lowering kit. The 2010 radiators look flimsy like my old Honda's.

On another note, I broke it in today, and I still think it makes too much intake noise. If this machine has all the old "noises" like my 09 had, I sure can't here it over the intake noise!

I also think it has plenty of power. I'm not running out to get a new pipe for it anytime soon. It does seem like a comfy bike. When I rode another, I thought it rode real similar to my 09, but now that I have some time on it, It handles somewhat different. Not good or bad, but it is much different than I first thought it was compared to the 09. Frame seems to make it ride smoother in chop also.

It didn't really shave much time of my lap times (a little) but it wasn't earth shattering. It does seem to be a better platform, but there isn't a whole lot of credible info out yet. Next year will be better

(I figure, since I have only seen two others all winter, there must not be very many bikes, therefore, not a lot of testing for us mortals. I have been riding every other weekend since Thanksgiving)

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1) How do you get that piece of plastic up so I can install the wire from the hour meter onto the spark plug wire. the piece of plastic I am referring to is black and has no bolts back by the shock. It has the plastic pins like on a crf 50 radiator shroud, but I can't figure out how to get them to "pop" up.

You push those pins in then you can remove them. The manuals covers this.

The bike already has an hour meter you just need the power tuner to access it

2) If I get Dr D radiator lowering kit, can I use works connection radiator braces (doesn't look it to me). On my 09, i didn't need the braces because the radiators had external supports. So I just installed the lowering kit. The 2010 radiators look flimsy like my old Honda's.

On another note, I broke it in today, and I still think it makes too much intake noise. If this machine has all the old "noises" like my 09 had, I sure can't here it over the intake noise!

I also think it has plenty of power. I'm not running out to get a new pipe for it anytime soon. It does seem like a comfy bike. When I rode another, I thought it rode real similar to my 09, but now that I have some time on it, It handles somewhat different. Not good or bad, but it is much different than I first thought it was compared to the 09. Frame seems to make it ride smoother in chop also.

It didn't really shave much time of my lap times (a little) but it wasn't earth shattering. It does seem to be a better platform, but there isn't a whole lot of credible info out yet. Next year will be better

(I figure, since I have only seen two others all winter, there must not be very many bikes, therefore, not a lot of testing for us mortals. I have been riding every other weekend since Thanksgiving)

Yes the pins push in first then cab be removed.

I am interested in finding out about the radiator brace/ lowering kit deal too, I am running the WC braces at the moment and was thinking about a lowering kit.

You push those pins in then you can remove them. The manuals covers this.

The bike already has an hour meter you just need the power tuner to access it

Thanks. So the pins push down. Got it. I thought you had to pull them "up".

I know the power tuner logs the time, but I have a couple of Dr. D meters here and wanted to mount them. Even though I have ridden the bike just once, I thought the power was very good stock. I have support from Dr D, but I may just forgo the pipe and get the tuner. The tuner seems like a very good tool. My shop told me that they would sell theirs for cost, since Yamaha made them buy it for the 2 450's that they got.

I wil call Dr D this morning and see about the radiator braces with a lowering kit. I will post later.

Thanks guys!

Your wife got you a '10 ? nice!:banana:

Heck yeah! I got a keeper! She even buys me and the boy TLD clothes all the time. I think I have posted my Malcolm Smith autographed helmet she got me for Christmas! Signed by the man himself! I don't know how she does it (putting up with me the old fart and my young son), but she treats us well.

Helmet and some of my new gear is in the avatar.

So the pins push down. Got it. I thought you had to pull them "up".
Push the center segment down just until it snaps, about an eighth inch or so. That allows the whole retainer to release and lift out. If you are too aggressive, in pushing the center in, you'll pop the center peg all the way through the retainer, rendering the retainer useless.

Again, the manual covers that.

Push the center segment down just until it snaps, about an eighth inch or so. That allows the whole retainer to release and lift out. If you are too aggressive, in pushing the center in, you'll pop the center peg all the way through the retainer, rendering the retainer useless.

Again, the manual covers that.

Thanks guys. The shop or I couldn't find in the manual in chapter 6 how the cover comes off, but none the less, it comes off. The head mechanic said the same as you guys.

The Dr. D lower kit WILL NOT WORK with the radiator braces. Called Dubach Enterprises, and they said NO! Just passing it along like I said.:banana::ride:

Regarding the hour meter on the 'Power Turner', be careful as you can reset it back to default setting which puts every thing ( including the hours ) back to 0 ( as i did by mistake). lucky i have an after market meter as well.

Thanks for the info.

How durable are the new raditors? When I rode Honda's, the raditors would crush were my knees came in contact with the raditor shouds. The radiator bracs/supports fixed this. You guys that have had yours more than a week , how have the radiators held up? The shrouds on the Yamaha look tough, but I would just like some feedback on the durability on the radiators. The 09 radiators with their external support worked great, and if the 2010 works just as well, then great.:banana:

It's just me, but if you have to choose one or the other, I'd blow off the lowering kit and protect the radiators. The '10 already has the rads lower than previous years, and from seeing the feedback here, they seem more vulnerable. Plus, while I suppose anything can be improved, the '10 handles so well as is that it doesn't really stand to benefit as much from the kit as the braces.

It's just me, but if you have to choose one or the other, I'd blow off the lowering kit and protect the radiators. The '10 already has the rads lower than previous years, and from seeing the feedback here, they seem more vulnerable. Plus, while I suppose anything can be improved, the '10 handles so well as is that it doesn't really stand to benefit as much from the kit as the braces.

Thanks again. That is the feedback I was looking for. If I have to choose, I choose durability.

Edwards>>where did you get your graphics at? I am from PA and they look boss!

Get rid of the front tire for sure!.....This past sunday was a real muddy(I mean muddy) race and the 742f front tire didnt do worth a hoot. All the front end wanted to do was scoot and slide.

I tried soffenten the compression of the forks and then stiffening the compression of the forks and neither helped the front end in the mud. It had to have been the 742f front tire cause it just wouldnt get no traction in the mud.

I'm going to put a starcross MS3 by Michilen on tomorrow and just keep the 756 on the rear.

Get rid of the front tire for sure!.....This past sunday was a real muddy(I mean muddy) race and the 742f front tire didnt do worth a hoot. All the front end wanted to do was scoot and slide.

I tried soffenten the compression of the forks and then stiffening the compression of the forks and neither helped the front end in the mud. It had to have been the 742f front tire cause it just wouldnt get no traction in the mud.

I'm going to put a starcross MS3 by Michilen on tomorrow and just keep the 756 on the rear.

Isn't that 742F the same lousy tire that came stock in 06? If so I'd say yeah, that was the problem. Worthless hunk of rubber.

Got to agree with Starcross, always good. My UK bike came stock with Pirellis

• 2 months later...

Rads don't hold up my right side is bent already 4 hours on it. First little far in a sandy corner and the rad is bent I ordered WC rad braces but they aren't here yet too bad. Not bent to bad but still it didn't take much. I should be able to pull it back when I put the braces on any tricks for pulling it back it only went in about 1/2 inch at the bottom??? P.S. boo hoo about the intake noise I like it, sounds good, just because its different you don't like it. Exhaust is actually fairly quiet when I'm riding.