Sign in to follow this  

230/ XR 250 fork swap

Ive been doing alot of research and ALOT of searching (I wouldn't ask this without doing a ton of checking around first) and i have kinda taken what ive understood from everything. So, correct me if im wrong: if i aquire a set of forks, i will have to shorten them unless i do something with the rear. So if i shorten them up, will they bolt right up? Also for people who have done the sap, what year forks did you use?

Edited by kevinmiller

I had to use washers to space the bearing at bottom and top of triple clamp. No I didn't shorten them but I used a Works Performance rear shock. I recommend getting the rear works shock and then putting a Race Tech emulator kit in the stock forks. Forget USD forks unless you plan on racing SX. Standard forks are much more compliant.

Dwight

does that emulator kit do that much for the xr front forks? if i let out all the extra air out of my front forks like everyone tells me to do, my fronts so mushy it's almost scary. i need to do something with my front forks even if it is USD forks from another bike, i do a fair amount of jumping with alot of tight trail riding and anything will help. my rear shock just got rebuilt and it still feels a little springy, but what can i expect from a 1987 xr 250 =)

Emulators, Proper fork oil and the Emulators preload the stock springs about 3/4". You should not need different springs. They will be stiff enough.

So you could get XR250 forks, take the 230 forks off, put a spacer on the the lower triple clamp, and bolt them on with the stock wheel and triple trees? If it is as simple as putting a spacer on, sounds easy. Do you need to change the axle or buy/make spacers? What's the cost? Is it worth it?

So you could get XR250 forks, take the 230 forks off, put a spacer on the the lower triple clamp, and bolt them on with the stock wheel and triple trees? If it is as simple as putting a spacer on, sounds easy. Do you need to change the axle or buy/make spacers? What's the cost? Is it worth it?

I think the XR250 stem will match your 230 so it should be straight bolt on. The critical issue is the length of the stem from the top of the lower triple to the start of the threads. If too long for your steering head the clamp nut will bottom out without clamping the bearings, a few washers under the nut fixes that. If the stem is too short the clamp nut will not engage enough threads.

Up thru 95 the XR250 forks use damper rod damping just like the XR200 and CRF230 forks so there is no advantage in fork action. The RT emulator kit will improve the action of all three forks.

There is a set of '02 XR250 forks on ebay for cheap. I think like $35. Do these have external adjustments? Seems like the Emulators is the way to go with any of these types. So why not just keep the stockers, run the Emulators, and save money. You would put them in the XR250 forks anyways.

Would a XR250 shock with a remote resv. fit on the 230? Or is it too long? You can find those for cheap too. I would go that route if it fit. And get a stiffer spring.

Edited by Graham Dwight

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=645407&page=8&highlight=dwight+rudder

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=715173&highlight=cxr250f post #45

These threads show the mods to my bike and how I mounted the 1996 XR250R forks.

I got the XR250 Front end on using two SAE 1" washers and one 1 1/8" machine bushings as spacers, top and bottom. Machine washers against the bearing. You have to remove the bearing and also replace the bottom bearing seal also. You will destroy both removing them.

You can't drop the forks in the clamps hardly at all as there isn't enough tire / fender clearance and the fork legs are beveled so you can't move them much. The CRF230F, wheel , axle and caliper all bolted right on.

LOL, Reread above thread. ANYWAY......it was the 1996 up model. I think mine is actually a 1997.

Yea I caught that just after i posted, sorry. Did you try any other fork setups because i am seriously considering this

No, I knew this would be the absolute best setup for this bike. USD forks are harsh and too stiff. Also more prone to leakage.

are xr400 the same stem as the 230 or are they different from the xr250?

No, I knew this would be the absolute best setup for this bike. USD forks are harsh and too stiff. Also more prone to leakage.

Dwight, what makes you feel that USD forks are more prone to leakage?

Mike

Dwight, what makes you feel that USD forks are more prone to leakage?

Mike

It is a fact that they are. The oil sits on the seals internally at all times and also they tend to pack dirt into them when they bottom .

It is a fact that they are. The oil sits on the seals internally at all times and also they tend to pack dirt into them when they bottom .

Well, I don't think you can call it a fact - just curious what your opinion was on it.

The reason I asked is because your comment surprised me - I'm in FL with a 12 month per year riding so there are lots of old bikes out there in guys hands that not only don't believe in maint, they don't even know what it is LOL I know guys that ride bikes over 10 years old, and have never changed their fork seals (or oil and yes their suspension bottoms over pebbles because the fluid is like water - LOL).

Seems very random to me. Conventional/USD just seems to happen whenever... the only time I've seen it more is when someone added too much oil attempting to stiffen their forks up too much.

I was just curious what your thoughts were...

Thanks.

Mike

khead22,

The XR400 forks are 2mm larger than XR250 forks. I believe they are a tad longer as well. They are nice forks, but maybe a bit much on a 230.

what about the stems though? I thought the xr250 stems were the same as the crf230 - just wondering if the xr400 is the same.