Sign in to follow this  

2009 yamaha xt250 clutch smoked @ 577mi :(

I headed out for an afternoon ride today and didnt go far. got about 7mi into my ride and was pulling a mild hill and the bike started revving up like the tire i was spinning. i was on gravel and didnt think nothing of it at 1st until i started to go up the next hill (mind you these are not that big of hills either) and i made it half way up and the motor was revving but i was slowing down. i stopped and noticed my clutch lever felt stiff,***??? i thought, its always had the recommended play in it, so i threaded the adjuster in and started the bike, it was slipping i could tell but pulled ok so i pointed it towards home. i reached town and had to stop @ a stop sign, unfortunatly when i tried to take off i let the clutch completley out, nothing notta:foul:! i walked the bike home the last 3/4 of a mile. iv rode for 20yrs and never had this happen, the only thing i could think was this bike was a demo used by the msf beginners course, i got it with 180mi but im wondering how much abuse it got in those early days, iv been nothing but nice to it either hitting backroads taking picture's or riding with my wife's kids, which by the way i had the step-daughter on her xr100 with me & her clutch didnt die l.o.l any idea's what may of happened?

If you got it used and you swear you didn't smoke it, then somebody else did.

That's my guess, anyway.

Put new plates and springs in it with a new gasket and carry on with your XT-250Y.

Change the oil and filter, too, because that's probably all yucky by now. :banana:

If you got it used and you swear you didn't smoke it, then somebody else did.

That's my guess, anyway.

Put new plates and springs in it with a new gasket and carry on with your XT-250Y.

Change the oil and filter, too, because that's probably all yucky by now. :banana:

I can honestly say i didnt smoke it, iv babied it pretty much. im following the factory break-in aswell. im still confused why it went @ once tho??????? it really never acted up before.

Could someone have put in "friction modifying automobile oil"? That would cause slippage.

I hear you on that one. I had a line on a 2009 WR250R that was only used for a motorcycle riding course. Bike had only 450 "easy, parking lot and cone" miles on it. I swear that is what the salesman told me.

Walked away for two reasons. 1) They wouldn't budge on their price ($4900) and they demanded freight and setup be paid. 2) They wouldn't agree to replace the clutch as part of the sale.

Other than those two minor reasons, I would have a 2009 instead of the 2008 leftover I found three days later.

I hear you on that one. I had a line on a 2009 WR250R that was only used for a motorcycle riding course. Bike had only 450 "easy, parking lot and cone" miles on it. I swear that is what the salesman told me.

Walked away for two reasons. 1) They wouldn't budge on their price ($4900) and they demanded freight and setup be paid. 2) They wouldn't agree to replace the clutch as part of the sale.

Other than those two minor reasons, I would have a 2009 instead of the 2008 leftover I found three days later.

I'm thinking that i'll never purchase an ex-msf safety course bike again, i'll stand by my claim that i havn't done anything to ream the clutch out. its funny you mentioned the clutch replacement because i kept asking the guys how much abuse the clutch & engine took while the "beginners" were learning, same as you they said nah this thing isnt hurt, well 400mi later this thing wont even pull its self. its @ the shop now getting fixed im anxious to see how it will feel with the new parts.