Hatfield Mccoy suggestions?

So me and my buddy want to head out to WV in late june to ride hatfield mccoy. We've never went this far to ride somewhere, so I had a few general questions. I'll make a quick list

1. Its a 10 hour drive. Would 2 full days of riding down there be enough?

2. We are c riders who like single track, I've been reading up and have kinda decided on the buffalo mountain system. Is that a good choice?

3. How much does a permit or a day of riding cost? Any special machine regulations I need to adhere to?

4. Are gas stations easy to ride up to in this trail system?

I have been there twice-

1st trip in November 0f 2008- they called for snow furies- got 12-14" could not ride the bikes and had to rent quads. there for 3 days.

2nd trip april of 2009- rained 4 out of 4 days. woke up on the 5th day-( we were leaving) 75 and sunny. so we rode all day and left that night. 16 hour ride for me.

We stayed at the ashland koa. Rented a cabin. Most likely the nicest home for 100 miles. Great place to stay had a good time there,

You can ride a bike or quad on the road if you are 10 miles from a trail head. So getting gas is not a problem, But it will most likely be reg not premium.

Permits are good for a year and they are cheap. I have never been asked to see it or stopped by any one- but I wanted to support a great trail system so I bought one any way.

Bring spare parts- tubes. Every thing is 100 miles away.

2 full days of riding would be a good long weekend trip. Buffalo Mountain is definitely the choice for single track riding.

A trail permit costs $50 and is valid until Dec.31. Only year permits are available.

There are 3 towns (Matewan, Delbarton & Williamson) connected to Buffalo Mountain trail system. There is fuel available at all 3 towns. You can ride the streets in the towns with just a trail permit. There are no special machine regulations.

There is a large trail expansion currently in process and will be open by the time you come. We are adding single track & two track trails. Buffalo Mountain will be the largest in both types of trails. I volunteer with the mapping and design of the new trails, also the existing single track.

The Blue Goose Inn is located in the town of Matewan and caters to riders. The trailhead is only 200 yards away.

www.BlueGooseInnWV.com

I've been to rockhouse. Gilbert is the town on one end. Good little shop in town for parts. i wouldn't bother bringing a bunch of parts.

Twin hollow campground is where we stayed. Very nice and ON the trail.

The single track at rockhouse is brutal. Chewed me up and spit me out.

I've been to rockhouse. Gilbert is the town on one end. Good little shop in town for parts. i wouldn't bother bringing a bunch of parts.

Twin hollow campground is where we stayed. Very nice and ON the trail.

The single track at rockhouse is brutal. Chewed me up and spit me out.

Yeah, some of it was pretty tough. Here's some vid of our last trip there this past fall to remind you. :banana:

http://vimeo.com/6765570

Trail 199 was great, but I thought the stair step up trail 176 was the hardest. All the single track is too short, though, IMO.

We've been to Rockhouse twice so far, next time I would like to try Buffalo Mtn. Rockhouse is fun, but doesn't have that much single track. If I drove 10 hours, I think I might be a little disappointed. I've never been to the other trail heads, though. According to the maps anyway, Buffalo Mtn has the most single track. That would be my next preferred destination at H&M.

2 full days of riding would be a good long weekend trip. Buffalo Mountain is definitely the choice for single track riding.

A trail permit costs $50 and is valid until Dec.31. Only year permits are available.

There are 3 towns (Matewan, Delbarton & Williamson) connected to Buffalo Mountain trail system. There is fuel available at all 3 towns. You can ride the streets in the towns with just a trail permit. There are no special machine regulations.

There is a large trail expansion currently in process and will be open by the time you come. We are adding single track & two track trails. Buffalo Mountain will be the largest in both types of trails. I volunteer with the mapping and design of the new trails, also the existing single track.

The Blue Goose Inn is located in the town of Matewan and caters to riders. The trailhead is only 200 yards away.

www.BlueGooseInnWV.com

I just did this trip this past weekend and had a great time. Buffalo Bill is dead on with the riding at Buffalo Mountain. The trail system was great, very well marked and all kind of riding depending on what you are looking for. I rode several of the single track loops and it was great (it is true single track).

I highly recomend the Blue Goose Inn for lodging and you can get a great breakfast there as well. If you have never ridden there or haven't ridden there lately go check it out you won't be disappointed.?

GHill

make the trip it is well worth it. i useally stay at twin hollow at rockhouse and truck bikes to buffallow mt. try to get a extra day or two 4 days straight is about perfect. rockhouse system is great lot great blue&black trails. great 1 day ride to ride over to man to have lunch &get gas theres a nice little barbecue place in town. hey no brakes what type of helmet cam are you using great video cant wait to get trials bike down their this summer