Sign in to follow this  

sand corner help

we made a awesome single track with rutted corners but recently we adde a section in the back that includes a 180 to the left that is kinda soft sand into a stretch of about 50 feet into a normal right but it is really soft sand and off camber, I struggled just to get threw it at first without spilling then when i can get threw it i cannot find the momentum i need because the whole streight after it is soft sand also and i loose a bunch of time on that section any suggetions i would appreciate. I'm on a 05crf450r i'm a average rider trying to get better on the track by practicing on this single track rutted corners, its a really knarly track almost like a national track and in the sand corner there is about 5 diffrent ruts so it makes your bike want to jakenife even easier.

Got to keep your corner entrance speed up. Don't fight the front end and let it float around the corner. Steady rear wheel speed is important. Try to ride your 450 like a 125 two stroke in that section and I think you will see a change. Just as you enter the corner, go to 3/4 throttle and pop the clutch. Soon as you pop the clutch back off to 1/2 throttle and twist the throttle just enough to keep the back wheel from tring to flat track out on you. I have a YZ450F and practice on a realy deep sand track (125 killer track) and I have found that if I ride the 450 just like my two stokes, that the bike realy tracks well in the sand. If I go back to lugging the 450 around the track, its like fighting a bear.

Practice and make it a good habbit to do all your braking b4 the rut in the attack position being loose and neutral on your bike soaking up braking bumps staring at 1/4 of the way through the turn. Do Not Sit Down until you are in the turn make sure you feel comfortable doing this before you continue on. Now practice the rest, you'll notice how much easier it is now that your set up coming into the turn. Have weight more forward on the bike looking at the end of the rut as you enter it. at this point all your braking should be Done applying very lite front brake pressure will add weight to the front tire keeping it in the rut, but at the same time through out the turn your rolling on the gas and starting to shift more weight to the back tire. So Brake b4 and Power out keeping your momentum up for the next straight away. Hope this helps

well padget your idea makes alot of sense and i was doing that method more towards the end of the day so i got what your saying I just need to work on it more. As far as jay your ideas are more for rutted regular corners or burms you try tapping the front brake in deep loose sand and your bike will jakeknife and if you sit down like a normal corner guess what jackknife again trust me i'm actually prett good at the other corners just this one was very tricky because of the deep loose sand it being off camber alittle and numberous ruts so basically you had to make your own line until you do it enough it creates a kinda rut lol.

Dont count jayy826 ideal out, should try it with a lite brake, just feather the lever. I use my front brake alot when I square up a corner. When I square off a corner, once you lock up the rear brake and get the bike pitched, I get off the rear brake and come on the front just enough to hold the front wheel, but not lock it up. The front wheel acts like a pivot point. Why I do this is to keep the bike from floating deeper into the corner. It takes a lot of time on the track to perfect this and it realy feels weird at first. Once you master it you can turn on a dime and exit speed is realy fast. I can run to the outside and square off a coner for a clean inside pass. With this method I have never needed to lay a block pass on any rider.

Don't slow down much and pin it right when you get into it. Really. If you wait to get on the gas then the sand will take control of you. But if you power through it then the sand doesn't have time to manipulate your bike. And if it is really deep sand and you are having problems with the ruts don't go through them. Just get on the gas (enough to spin the tire) right as you get into it and steer with the back wheel all the way through the section.

There was this corner before a big up hill that was very deep and thick sand yesterday. It was pretty moist too given we just had about 5 days of rain. But anyway, there were crazy uneven ruts going every which way. At first I tried following the ruts but could never get into one and always drifted wide. Well since that wasn't working as soon as my front wheel got into the first rut I just blasted it and held it pinned ignoring the rest of the ruts. Even though the sand was so deep and rutted (not straight ruts either) since I was on the gas my bike went where I pointed it. You also don't have to slow down much at all and can carry a bunch of momentum through sand.