Sign in to follow this  

96 kx60 clickers? trouble stiffening monoshock

i just bought a 1996 kx 60,

the suspensions way to soft.

how do i make it stiffer?

it looks like an old school shock with no threads.

i know how to set suspension on big bikes, but this shock doesnt have any threads, and i cant seem to find the clicker:bonk:

Edited by dylans503

i took the whole shock off and put it in a vice and turned the adjuster thing to the tightest setting.

are there any clickers i can adjust to?

I don't know for certain, but a '96 KX60 shock is probably on the primitive side. If there were adjustments they would probably be obvious. More than likely it doesn't have them.

There's just the stepped-adjuster on the one side of the shock, the old school style you saw on the dual shock bikes from way back. I'll get you a photo if you need it.

oh no i know what it looks like.

thats what i adjusted when i took the shock completely off.

i guess theres nothing much more i can do then huh guys?

besides buyin a shock... damn.

Sounds to me like your shock is shot. You might be able to have it serviced instead of buying a new one.

And the adjuster doesn't adjust the shock, it adjusts the spring preload, so perhaps someone replaced it with a softer spring? That might save you a little bit of cash replacing only the spring, problem of course is finding only the spring.

Good luck.

Hmm... um... I think I may have confused two different conversations. I don't know why I said that two weeks ago.

Disregard the comment about the bad shock. However, the spring comment is still pertinent.

I don't know if your shock is "shot", but the damping of the shock affects it's stiffness too through resistance. If the internals of the shock are worn or busted it will feel kind of like a pogo stick. In this case increasing the preload on the spring will make the shock a little stiffer, but won't solve the problem.

That may have been what I was getting at, but he didn't say anything to make it certain enough for me to say it. I really think I was talking to two different people in two different threads and confused this one with the other one.

But "pogo" stick is a great analogy if it is gone.

OTOH, is it "way too soft" sitting on it or riding it? The first is probably a spring problem, replace the spring. Also, how heavy is the rider? I think the bike is rated for up to 104 lb. riders. If your son or daughter is significantly over that, you probably want to look into a different bike.

You should be advised that mini-motocrossers don't like adults. I briefly test rode a YZ80 or 85 (for all intents and purposes, the same bike) which had some severe issues we didn't buy it, however during that short ride it was quite obvious it didn't want someone of my size and weight (5'8 180-200lbs) in the saddle. That was of course until I noticed that it wouldn't idle warm when the seller's father said "oh, that's no problem, I can fix that!", messed with the pilot screw and made it insanely rich or maybe lean, but what ever he did took all the bite out of the YZ's bark. But it did idle. It was much more than just a carb cleaning, so we walked.

I've also ridden my daughter's 91 KX60 because dad has to test stuff. Many an adult has been injured when these bikes hit dumping dad off the back and breaking the rear fender.

IMHO, you should do something like this:

15334527_scaled_400x300.jpg

It's a KX60 with KX80 forks 17” wheels (RS front with RS125 brake).

Monster KX60 a.k.a. Screaming Cricket (scroll way down)