97-99 cr250 plastic conversion to 05-10??

for all of you that have 97-99 cr250's and have put newer plastics from a 2005-2010 yr bikes...I know I have seen some of these bikes on here but my searches are not giving me what I am looking for.

can you give me a parts list and some pics of your bikes?

thanks!

What are you looking for that your searches aren't giving you?

Mainly you need an 02+ airbox to get the 02+ side panels on. For anything after 07, not sure if things changed much, up to 09/10, I am not sure if it is as simple as just the airbox.

For the shrouds, if you want 02-07, you need the gas tank for those years. Nothing changed between 02-07, just BNG's. I saw an 02 CRF 450 that had the 09/10 tank and shrouds as well as the front fender and number plate.

Fenders are universal for the most part. Front fenders bolt right up til 09/10, which can still be used, but you need to drill extra holes. And the 09/10 number plate can be made to work as well.

https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=790736&highlight=02+plastic+conversion

https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=609763&page=33

Check out post #327

• Like 1

also if you scroll down to the very bottom of this thread theres loads more..under similar threads i just done a 2000 model cr250 i never needed to remould the airbox to make it fit i think 98 models did from the threads i read on here

I have recently finished a 97 cr250 with 07 plastic.The gas tanks from 02-07 will not fit the 97-99 frame, due to a cross brace center way under the tank.You also have to heat and shape the airbox to get the side panels to line up with the airbox,and line up with the top seat mount.You have to fab some sort of brackets for the lower sideplate mounts.I used 1''x1/4 inch aluminum.I used my 97 tank,but painted it gloss black.The 02-07 shrould will mount on the top,most forward hole of the tank,but then you must make more brackets for the lower tank mount and the lower frame mount,and finally the radiator mount.The airbox is the worst and most tedious part.I understand you not being able to find much on here,people talk about it,but not much detail,especialy the airbox.Its not that bad of a job to do,it just takes patience and a heatgun!When I get a chance,I will send you some pictures.Let me know if I can help.

• Like 1

cool that does not sound too bad, pics would help me out the most...

I am looking to do 05-07 plastics.

how do the shrouds cover the wear marks from the 97 plastics on the aluminum frame? I have a small grove thats not going to buff out!

how is the paint holding up on the gas tank? just curious because I thought that the gas would bubble its way through the paint like stickers do on a gas tank...and what kind of paint did you use?

thanks guys!

Yea, the wear marks are bearly visible as you have to look very close to see them.As for paint,I used automotive bumper paint and have had no problem yet.I work out of town through the week,but when I get home I will get some pictuers.

• 1 year later...

also if you scroll down to the very bottom of this thread theres loads more..under similar threads i just done a 2000 model cr250 i never needed to remould the airbox to make it fit i think 98 models did from the threads i read on here

hey I'm looking to do the plastic conversion on my bike it's a 2000 cr 250 can u tell me the specifics on yours

I looked into this for my 98 and decided it's just not worth it IMO I mean the regular plastics fit perfectly and don't look too far off. The only reason I was going to do it was because there was a limited amount of graphics available for the 97-99 until I found a couple of sites where you can create literally anything. I am going to be installing a 02+ front fender though.

• 4 years later...

Hello all I know this thread is very old well I'm looking to do a conversion on my 1997 CR250 I've rebuilt it from the ground up. I welded the wear marks in the frame from the old shrouds. Sanded them down and powder coated the frame sub frame and swing arm black.

Here is the questions I know I need a 02 or newer air box but there seems to be some disagreements on whether or not the old Florida 07 gas tank will fit in a generation one CR 250 can someone please answer that for me I'd like to go with a larger fuel tank if possible I do a lot of was riding I'll definitely post pictures when I'm done the conversion I have everything new for this bike from plastics two brand-new crank boys in the water cooler for the engine covers Hinson clutch Weiss go piston brand-new solar direct from Honda stock for pro circuit pipe SDG step seat I just want to get some accurate information of what I'm going to need I can modify or fabricate anything I can make brackets I can weld aluminum I can turn stuff on the label divide need to I can do whatever I need to do but I'm looking for the what I need to make this not look like a hack job please only respond if you've done this and you know what you're saying is a fact please don't respond and say I think or it might if you know please respond if you don't please don't respond I'm just trying to get the parts I need together so as soon as this powder coating is done I can start assembling this beast all new suspension from race tech gold valves airstrike carburetor sorry I told you all the stuff that I got for this bike.

So what I need to know is what tank do I need to use the 0407 plastics on my generation one Honda CR 250 and any tips are welcome I am a newbie so please take it easy only if my punctuation is off it's because I'm using talk to text thank you in advance for any help Timmy

Hello all I know this thread is very old well I'm looking to do a conversion on my 1997 CR250 I've rebuilt it from the ground up. I welded the wear marks in the frame from the old shrouds. Sanded them down and powder coated the frame sub frame and swing arm black.

Here is the questions I know I need a 02 or newer air box but there seems to be some disagreements on whether or not the old Florida 07 gas tank will fit in a generation one CR 250 can someone please answer that for me I'd like to go with a larger fuel tank if possible I do a lot of was riding I'll definitely post pictures when I'm done the conversion I have everything new for this bike from plastics two brand-new crank boys in the water cooler for the engine covers Hinson clutch Weiss go piston brand-new solar direct from Honda stock for pro circuit pipe SDG step seat I just want to get some accurate information of what I'm going to need I can modify or fabricate anything I can make brackets I can weld aluminum I can turn stuff on the label divide need to I can do whatever I need to do but I'm looking for the what I need to make this not look like a hack job please only respond if you've done this and you know what you're saying is a fact please don't respond and say I think or it might if you know please respond if you don't please don't respond I'm just trying to get the parts I need together so as soon as this powder coating is done I can start assembling this beast all new suspension from race tech gold valves airstrike carburetor sorry I told you all the stuff that I got for this bike.

So what I need to know is what tank do I need to use the 0407 plastics on my generation one Honda CR 250 and any tips are welcome I am a newbie so please take it easy only if my punctuation is off it's because I'm using talk to text thank you in advance for any help Timmy