Sign in to follow this  

Switching oils, anything to stay away from?

Im gonna switch to synthetic next oil change, wondering if theres anything to stay away from?

Ive always ran synthetic in all my performance vehicles, and I wanna run it in my 650 too. Religiously run mobil 1 in my performance truck. I plan on keeping it for a while, and I always keep up on maintenance.

This is my first 4 stroke, newest thing ive ever owned and first decent dual sport kinda ride.

Well, now you've done it. Get ready for a deluge. We all have our ideas on oil, etc. I used to run Mobil 1 as well (in other vehicles) but it is not the same product it used to be and certainly not worth the price they get for it. For those applications I run the Wal Mart house brand full syn. in the gallon jugs, it's tested by many as very, very good and is about half the cost of Mobil 1.

Regarding the DR, I used the factory oil from the dealer, then after break in, have been running Rotella-T, NON-syn. as suggested here by others. It seems like a great product. I change oil every 2000 miles or so at most and do not think it's worth running syn. for my situation. Maybe if I had to do extended oil chx, etc. it would be good. At 2000 mile chx. intervals, I get so spend some extra time with the bike, see what's going on and give everything a closer inspection. I cannot imagine doing yearly/6000 mile oil changes like so many other bike owners do. I know those type of "owners" are not the bulk of riders and wrenchers here on TT so...no jab is being made at "us." :banana:

Here we go! Let fly everyone!

To me, its a little peace of mind, especially if Im being hard on it. I wont be pushing the limit of synthetic oil change like a lot of guys do. I'll be changing it every 3-4K still.

I know everyones gonna tell me thats a waste, but of what? $20 maybe? Messing with this bike is way cheaper than my trucks. Even riding it around is gonna save me on gas. And hopefully keep me out of trouble. Well, less trouble than Ive gotten into with my S10 atleast.

non-syn rotella is very good it has lot of detergents and it is a diesel oil.

Right now I have Valvoline 10w-40 4 stroke motorcycle oil because it was the only m/c oil at my autoparts store.

I hear Silkolene and AMS OIL are good.

My next oil change will be Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W-40

you want an oil that meets or exceeds JASO

I agree. All those synthetics are great, I'm just cheap...trying to maintain nearly ten vehicles in two states right now. Not one of them uses the same oil type/wt. either :banana:

Frequent changes are the key for the bikes and high perf. ATV engines in my case. I like the Rotella-T for the reasons you mention (and the price) and the fact it's NOT the "Energy Conserving" branded stuff sold most everywhere. I did try such fare in another bike one time and the wet clutch did not like it...despite the reports by some that "It don't matter." I think it does.

The manual speccs oil change points for the DR at 6,000km/3,700mile intervals.

I may try a fully synth next change just to see what it's like.

I'm using Total semi/synth at the moment and 5,000km changes.

During break-in I ran Suzuki's conventional oil and I changed it at 30 miles, 250 miles, and 500 miles (note: I broke it in using the mototune method and doing "heat cycles"). At the 1,000 mile mark I changed to Suzuki's full synthetic. It's the cheapest 4-stroke motorcycle syn I can find (about $8.50 per quart), plus it's, well, approved by the manufacturer!

I run Mobile 1 in my truck and my wife's SUV. I was sold on it when I lived in Fairbanks, AK and my older truck was parked outside in temps down to -50 deg. F. Even at extreme cold temps. Mobile 1 still poured as if it was room temp.

Well I just saw that the local suzuki place is not there anymore..dunno what happened.Autozone's within a few miles of my place, vs the nearest bike shop now. I'll prolly just run with the mobil 1 4 stroke oil. Its a buck more than that, although I never priced it locally. So who knows. Id assume you were using the right winter rating on the oil with the winters being that cold.

I bought the bike used, with just under 3K miles on it. Id assume they broke it in with regular oil. Least Id hope. Seems to run good and got a good deal on it. No real problems yet. Hopefully wont run into any. Everyone says these bikes are near bulletproof as long as their maintained.

I use Total Grand prix 4T full syn 10w50 and change it when it needs it.

The oil is green like anti-freeze and I change it when it get about army green, how fast it gets dirty depends what sort of riding I`m doing.

Never gets past 3000kms before its changed.

Hey Brian can you respond to this? BrianWheelies thats on here now and then has 65000mi on his dr. what oil did you use Brian?

As was mentioned earlier, the big thing to avoid is any car oil that says "energy conserving". It can negatively impact the clutch pack (I believe).

I run Rotella non-syn and so far so good.