Sign in to follow this  

Leaking forks

I have a 2003 ktm-200sx and there is oil leaking out of the top of my forks. What is wrong with this picture? any help?

Thanx:worthy:

have they been apart recently? If so then the damp adjusting rod may not be seated right. If its oozing around the spring adjuster then maybe its a bad o-ring. Maybe its just pressure build up and you need to bleed the air out.

I just had my forks rebuilt and I've gotten the oil residue on the cap of one fork. To check for the damping rod seating will I have to take it off and take it back to the tuner, or can I do it myself?

I have the pressure release valves on both forks the non-leaking audibly produces a hiss after the rider, the leaky one doesn't.

When the forks are refilled with oil with the damper rod in place, some goes down the inside of the rod and the pressure pushes it past the rebound clicker o-ring.........was a HUGE topic on KTMTalk for ages:bonk:

I'm bordering on OCD...but managed to ignore it on my '02 200.

I meant is it a pre-load adjuster type or just a solid cap.

Yes oz, that is the problem that oil gets in the tube and pushes thru the o-ring, not necessarily cuz it is poured in the tube tho, just need to be sure that rod is in there right.

The rod drops in and you may THINK its in right. Play with it and jack it up n down just a little bit and it will suddenly drop down that extra 1/8" or so and be right. Sometimes it takes a few tries to get it right.