Sign in to follow this  

hitch mount carrying capacity

I am looking at this chart for how much weight can be put an a certain brand hitch carrier.

http://www.versahaul.com/vehiclecarrycapacity.php

I think they are taking into account the 2 foot of leverage. The FAQ mentions that a 500 pound limit will mean you can put 300 on the hitch 2 feet out. I think this is taking the weight of the rack into account. I am not sure what else goes into these numbers.

Anyway it shows that many unibody cars can hold a dirt bike. Some of the unibody ones are rated higher then models with frams.

Is this information reliable? From these specs it looks like my light 125 would be no problem for a van like a Quest.

I would assume since the mfgr. made that chart it should be reliable. The main factor with the hitch carriers is making sure the hitch itself is strong enough. You should have at least a Class 3 trailer hitch on your van. So make sure you check what hitch is on your van prior to putting a hitch carrier on it.

Hope this helps,

Jon

I am looking at this chart for how much weight can be put an a certain brand hitch carrier.

http://www.versahaul.com/vehiclecarrycapacity.php

I think they are taking into account the 2 foot of leverage. The FAQ mentions that a 500 pound limit will mean you can put 300 on the hitch 2 feet out. I think this is taking the weight of the rack into account. I am not sure what else goes into these numbers.

Anyway it shows that many unibody cars can hold a dirt bike. Some of the unibody ones are rated higher then models with frams.

Is this information reliable? From these specs it looks like my light 125 would be no problem for a van like a Quest.

Something to keep in mind....manufacturer's have a goal....and your safety is not at the top of the list, it's profits.

How many people have been told "yeah, you can pull that" by a salesman when anyone with half a brain can see it's not right?

Just be cautious, never trust anyone who is trying to convince you to buy their product....do some independant research on your own.

Let me share this-a hitch hauler with a bike on it vs a normal ball with a trailer hitched up of equal tongue weight handles and rides and affects the vehicle VERY differently.

I have a versa haul on my 88 burban and dont even feel the bike back there!!! Hook up a trailer and I can feel it more so with the car hauler then the small bike trailer I have