06 yzf250, Looking for Help on a new bike

I just bought the bike yesterday. I feel very good about it. but just need some help getting to know the bike a little better.

-does anyone know where or have a down-loadable user manual that i can scrounge up?

-Main jet:175

Leak Jet:45 "Leak and pilot are the same thing, it's 45" said the previous owner

Pilot Jet: 45

Fuel screw (turns out): 2 1/4 turns out

Needle model/Clip position: "Not sure on the needle clip, never messed with it" said the previous owner

My elevation is 6181 ft (1881 M) Not sure what my jetting should be at.

i get puttering at mid and upper RPM's. sounds almost like a miss-fire but i know that its not. just sounds like its not getting good mixture. mostly it just doesn't sound likes it purring the way a nice bike should.

and a few more questions:

-I hear the TTR's are a bit more reliable than the yz's. but im only going to be using my yz for trail riding and distance riding. is there anything i can do to make my bike a little more reliable and maybe some things people think i should have on my bike at all times that will help out in the field?

-any links to threads out there that can help a brotha out would be great. I searched a few key words, but i get 10,000 links per search. just seeing if anyone has a few under their belt that they think i should know about.

-if your in Aspen or Glenwood Springs colorado, i just got a new bike. Lets go ride.

-and for the guys that really like to help, or are just bored. any advice or directions to point me in to help me become less of a newbie, and more of a reliable rider.

Thanks for any help, i love this site and this forum. I have been racking my brain for the last few days reading as much as possible and i just cant seem to get enough. Keep it up and i look forward to hearing from you.

F

I just bought the bike yesterday. I feel very good about it. but just need some help getting to know the bike a little better.

-does anyone know where or have a down-loadable user manual that i can scrounge up?

-Main jet:175

Leak Jet:45 "Leak and pilot are the same thing, it's 45" said the previous owner

Pilot Jet: 45

Fuel screw (turns out): 2 1/4 turns out

Needle model/Clip position: "Not sure on the needle clip, never messed with it" said the previous owner

My elevation is 6181 ft (1881 M) Not sure what my jetting should be at.

i get puttering at mid and upper RPM's. sounds almost like a miss-fire but i know that its not. just sounds like its not getting good mixture. mostly it just doesn't sound likes it purring the way a nice bike should.

and a few more questions:

-I hear the TTR's are a bit more reliable than the yz's. but im only going to be using my yz for trail riding and distance riding. is there anything i can do to make my bike a little more reliable and maybe some things people think i should have on my bike at all times that will help out in the field?

-any links to threads out there that can help a brotha out would be great. I searched a few key words, but i get 10,000 links per search. just seeing if anyone has a few under their belt that they think i should know about.

-if your in Aspen or Glenwood Springs colorado, i just got a new bike. Lets go ride.

-and for the guys that really like to help, or are just bored. any advice or directions to point me in to help me become less of a newbie, and more of a reliable rider.

Thanks for any help, i love this site and this forum. I have been racking my brain for the last few days reading as much as possible and i just cant seem to get enough. Keep it up and i look forward to hearing from you.

F

Great choice on a bike. Very reliable. On the jetting if its sputtering on the top end you may need to lean it out some at that elevation. In that rpm range your looking at the main jet and the needle adjustments. The leak jet should be good where its at. Comparing a TTR to a YZF is like comparing a Honda Accord to a Formula 1 race car. That being said if you keep the air box clean, change the oil frequently ie every 3-5 hours with oil filter and keep the air filter fresh after each ride it will last you a long time. Valves are the biggest issue on these bikes and as long as you do the above maintenance consistantly your bike will last you many trouble free hours.

I too am looking for the site on the downloadabel manuals so hopefully someone knows where to find them. Good luck to you and anything you need just ask. There are a lot of good knowledgable people on here willing to help you out. :banana:

so is the main jet adjustment screw the screw on the bottom of the carb with the numbers on it? and could you point me to a thread that may explain lean out or richin the fuel. just trying to get the goods and know what im talking about. oh, and which way do i turn the screw to lean it out.

thanks, i appreciate the reply

so is the main jet adjustment screw the screw on the bottom of the carb with the numbers on it? and could you point me to a thread that may explain lean out or richin the fuel. just trying to get the goods and know what im talking about. oh, and which way do i turn the screw to lean it out.

thanks, i appreciate the reply

No you are reffering to the fuel screw on the bottom that is not what I am talking about. I am talking about the needle inside the carb. The only time you should have to mess with the fuel screw (located on the front bottom of the float bowl) is if the bike is popping when you rev it up. If the fuel screw has to be backed out more than 2 1/2 to 3 turns you need to up your jetting. You are not discribing that issue so dont touch it for now. Read the sticky at the top of the 250F forum on jetting. It has a lot of good info.