Sign in to follow this  

problem with XR650L, fires but wont start

This is a werd problem, got the bike with trans problems pulled it apart replaced the bad gears put it back together and it wont start fires every stroke but wont start, checked spark, compression, ignition timing, cam timing, balencer shaft timing, replaced CDI box, triger coil, ingition coil, rectifier, even sent it to a honda dealer they told me they had no idea whats wrong that will be $180.00, tryed a new battery, 4 new spark plugs, new fuel, starting fluid even tryed pull starting it nothing works everything checks out good, fires every stroke but wont fire up. any Ideas :banana:

This is a werd problem, got the bike with trans problems pulled it apart replaced the bad gears put it back together and it wont start fires every stroke but wont start, checked spark, compression, ignition timing, cam timing, balencer shaft timing, replaced CDI box, triger coil, ingition coil, rectifier, even sent it to a honda dealer they told me they had no idea whats wrong that will be $180.00, tryed a new battery, 4 new spark plugs, new fuel, starting fluid even tryed pull starting it nothing works everything checks out good, fires every stroke but wont fire up. any Ideas :banana:

Alrighty then:lol:

I`ll give it a go..

(1) what was your compresion reading

(2) when checking fire with another plug,is it a nice blue strong fire

(3) when you checked the cam timing,was the 2 marks lined up with the head,third line straight up with the T on the stator lined up...

(4) did you crack the carb drain screw to see if fuel flows out well,indicating good fuel flow..

(5) how old is the fuel

(6) is the plug in the bike good,change it just in case???

If FOR SURE those check out,and you don`t have a plugged intake(old rag left in it) or plugged exhaust it should fire,at least on starting fluid...

You need 3 things,good compression,good fire,and fuel getting into the cylinder..........one is missing...

P.S. If i took my bike to a dealer,with decent techs,and they couldn`t diagnose something as simple as a carburated motorcycle not starting,,,,then they must be complete idiots...and i`d be buggered if i`d pay them 2 cents...a normal person not getting it,then fine........but a tech not getting this......NOT LOOKIN GOOD FOR HIM..

B

Yea, a shop just saying "I don't know" is unacceptable. If you give them money, you better be getting something in return - at least a list of the things they checked and/or verified to be correct. Otherwise, they could have done nothing at all and still charged you.

Check your kill switch, I had similar problem cleaned and eventually replaced and problem went away. Hope this helps Crash

I don't mean to bump an old thread, but I had the same problem. I found out that it wasn't choking enough with the choke lever and I eventually had to choke the carb with my hand. It fired right up, first try even. If you seal if off good enough with your hand it will feel like it's trying to suck you right into the bike. Be careful though, if you don't move your hand immediately you can kill the thing.

Does the L have a kickstand safety switch? That has failed on a few of my bikes. Sounds like that or the factory kill switch.

Unless I missed it----try starting it with the kickstand up!.Sounds funny I know but,mine has Daves mods etc; starts better with the kickstand up---bike in the mounted/vertical position.I think one inmate mentioned the enrichment valve? JAG(just a guess)?.:thumbsup:

I have the same problem. I tried the hand choking and it fired right up. I guess it is not a choke it is an enricher??? so i took carb out was going to raise the main jet needle up a notch to make it richer. there was no notchs on the needle. there was no choke flapper. i could not even see what the enricher did or does. so i festered around in there for a while and put the thing back on. how do i enrich the enricher? I took the smog pump off, opened the air box. and took the silencer. So how do i make the thing choke or enrich?????