Sign in to follow this  

CR85 bogs

My son desert races a 2007 CR85. At the Adelanto gp the bike would lose power and almost die on the long fast straights. I think I fixed that problem. He had one of those shorty vent caps that I think was plugged. At the last race the bike would bog at the start and then eventually clear up. almost like a fouled spark plug. It did it twice, once on the start and again right after a pit stop. He said the thing ran great at wide open throttle. Ive changed the carburator. the entire electrical system, repacked the silencer. We bought the bike used. It ran great for the first few races and now I don't no what else to do. It only seems to do it when it warms up.

My son desert races a 2007 CR85. At the Adelanto gp the bike would lose power and almost die on the long fast straights. I think I fixed that problem. He had one of those shorty vent caps that I think was plugged. At the last race the bike would bog at the start and then eventually clear up. almost like a fouled spark plug. It did it twice, once on the start and again right after a pit stop. He said the thing ran great at wide open throttle. Ive changed the carburator. the entire electrical system, repacked the silencer. We bought the bike used. It ran great for the first few races and now I don't no what else to do. It only seems to do it when it warms up.

Probably jetting, what is in the bike right now?

thats what happened to ny kx 100, it all of a sudden did that and it did it a few times going in straights, we had kawi rebuild the whole carb still did it.. but then it just went away.. i dont get it, dont waste your money rebuilding a carb it doesnt work.. maybe a top end?

thats what happened to ny kx 100, it all of a sudden did that and it did it a few times going in straights, we had kawi rebuild the whole carb still did it.. but then it just went away.. i dont get it, dont waste your money rebuilding a carb it doesnt work.. maybe a top end?

They rebuilt it, but dint jet it? Yea, sounds like you need to re- jet for elevation, type of riding conditions etc.

1st tell us how your son is riding it, most 80's (especially the Honda) do not have much low end at all, not a heck of a lot of midrange either, so if he is riding it through the powerband instead of clutching it and staying in the top end zone this will most likely happen on occasion.

In other words by clutching it (slipping it) he is literally bypassing the low/mid bog zone.

Of course spot on jetting may help this some what but this is the way I ride mine with no problem at all.

Lower then stock gearing will help too.

Although you say ..."On long fast straights losing power" .... I would think it is running lean causing it to overheat, a fatter main jet may be the cure for that situation.

Any idea how the top end is ?