Sign in to follow this  

gas in oil

i may just be dumb but my oil smells kinda like gas......its an xr650r i just bought it and the guy who owned it said he only ran synthetic......does synthetic smell different than regular oil?

A couple of possibililities.

The fuel petcock is left on and the float needle is worn, causing fuel to leak into the cylinder and past the rings while setting, although the overflow in the bowl is suppost to prevent that(make sure it is not plugged up).

The petcock may just be worn out and fuel leaks past it even when off(take the hose off with the petcock on off, there should be no fuel coming out)

The choke(enricher) is not shutting completely off(open) when intended or you are unkowingly not shutting the choke off.

The carb is jetted too rich and excess fuel is getting past the rings, diluting the oil with fuel causing higher oil consumption, dirty oil sooner(excess carbon from combusiton process), early cylinder wear and entire engine bearing premature wear. You can check your jetting, but unless someone has solid numbers achived by real data testing and a almost identical engine and operating conditions any suggestions on jetting are again just a guess at best.

Extremely dirty air filter.

the guy i bought it from broke his back on a cr450f a month after he bought the xr650r its been setting for over a year the bike is like new the side covers don't even show wear.

Agree with Onederer, the oil is fuel diluted from one or more of the reasons he mentions.