Sign in to follow this  

Knobby designed for sand, or paddle tire?

My bike is a crf250, and I have been debating on whether I should buy a traditional paddle tire, or a knobby tire designed mainly for sand. I will be riding in mostly dunes, with some sandy trails.

This is the knobby........http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/2/10/476/5267/199/PITEM/Michelin-Starcross-Sand-4-Rear-Tire-2006-Honda-CRF250R-Parts.aspx

Opinions please! Thanks :banana:

This is just my opinion. I think that if you plan on riding "some sandy trails" you may run into some sections that have harder packed dirt. If that is the case I would not want to be riding on that surface with a paddle tire!

yeah you should go for the sand tyres, a 250 should go through no trouble

I just had a thread on this last week. if you were riding say GLAMIS i would go with a PADDLE tire. but since you said some trail I would go for a soft tire like the Maxxis SM (NEW TIRE DESIGN) or the Michelin S12XC (new design) or the Dunlop MX31

I just had a thread on this last week. if you were riding say GLAMIS i would go with a PADDLE tire. but since you said some trail I would go for a soft tire like the Maxxis SM (NEW TIRE DESIGN) or the Michelin S12XC (new design) or the Dunlop MX31

I may recall my soft tire statement if you are riding at Kermit which could be called the Glamis of Texas. if that's where you are riding go with a paddle. however guys ride the Paris to Dakar on DOT approved ISDE tires and they aren't paddle tires.

I may recall my soft tire statement if you are riding at Kermit which could be called the Glamis of Texas. if that's where you are riding go with a paddle. however guys ride the Paris to Dakar on DOT approved ISDE tires and they aren't paddle tires.

Hahaha I actually live in Kermit! Yeah I would say it's the Glamis of Texas. I have heard several people say they actually like the knobbies designed for sand better than traditional paddle tires, so I am a bit confused. I also can't find a paddle tire that I like, or has good reviews on.

Any paddle tire suggestions?

Hahaha I actually live in Kermit! Yeah I would say it's the Glamis of Texas. I have heard several people say they actually like the knobbies designed for sand better than traditional paddle tires, so I am a bit confused. I also can't find a paddle tire that I like, or has good reviews on.

Any paddle tire suggestions?

what tire are you using right now for the sand?

Well I ride mx, and some of my racing buddies and I would go to the sand hills for fun on the weekends. So we all just rode with knobbies. But we have started to enjoy it more and more, and have started riding with other guys who go to the dunes, and are looking for some more traction. lol

then I would guess you are running a soft to intermediate tire right now Like an MX51, if that the case i would only drop down to a soft like MX31.

I am running a Michelin Starcross MS3.

The MS3 is a soft to intermediate tire , I would move down to the Michelin starcross sand . even thought it's a knobby they are arranged in a scoop pattern don't install it backwards look for the direction arrow. I would try this before I went to a full blown paddle tire which would be great in the sand but terrible on a trail.

IRC M5B in a 140/90-19 or 140/80-18, which ever applies to you. This is the biggest tread tire I have ever seen and it kicks ass in the sand and mud.:banana:

x2 on the irc m5b. i run a 110-90-19 on my kx250, it is directional with a scoop like tread. hooks up everywhere and wears great.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/2/10/476/5036/199/PITEM/IRC-M5B-Soft-Terrain-Rear-Tire-2006-Honda-CRF250R-Parts.aspx

I still think the "Michelin Starcross Sand 4" looks like it has the best paddle-like tread on it. They resemble paddles more than the other tires mentioned in my opinion..

I think I am now stuck between that and a traditional paddle tire.

What paddle tires do y'all like?

Some of the tracks that I race at are tilled crazy deep and over watered. Also everything around here is sand from woods to tracks. I run this tire, it is so sick. The 1st time I used it I could actually feel it cut through all of the loose top and bite below, instant chubby. I'm telling you, this is the sickest tire for deep soft conditions

Here's a picture, but the idiots took the picture w/ the tire upside down, the treads obviously go the other way, like a paddle:

http://www.parts-unlimited.com/product/getProductDetails.do?regions=6&segmentId=6&comCodeId=94&subComCodeId=313&itemOffset=&pageSize=&productId=50401&selectedValues

http://www.vitalmx.com/features/Riding-The-Pirelli-Scorpion-MX-Soft-Tires,2924

MAX!!!