Sign in to follow this  

1989 Suzuki Rmx 250 info needed.

I am probally going to trade my rm250 for a Rmx. The Rmx is bored and stroked to 283. Does it have usd or standard forks. I can't tell from the pictures I have. Anything to look out for? Is it a good or bad.bike?

All RMX were USD forks until 1996/97. 89-'90 had USD KYB forks, '91-'95 had USD Showas, '96-up had conventional Showas..

Great bike, old Rm250 motor with heavy flywheel, lower compression and wider gear ratios. Very easy to pep up with stock RM parts.

Be wary of big bore kits, powervalve mods were required and is most likely a cast iron sleeve not nikasil like stock bore. Pistons will also most likely be hard to source and expensive.

Check all your stem/linkage bearings and swingarm bushes, also for any scary knocks or piston slap - the usual stuff, goes up and down thru all gears smoothly etc. Clutch will prob creep when in gear due to grooved basket.

It will most likely be pretty worn as is a 21 year old bike but as long as its the right price who cares. Ride and be happy :banana:

Found the following notes on ID-ing a 1989 (if you're too lazy to check 10th digit of vin! should be 89-K, 90-L, 91-M etc)

'you can tell the 1989 by the water pump cover and also the forks. the 1989 model had a sort of flat water pump cover but the 1990-93 models had this kind of water pump cover, if it is 1990 the forks between the fork clamps would be kind of smooth but the 1991 had one ring around each for fork between the fork clamps. the 1991 (and i think up to 1993) had 2 rings around them.'

How are the rmxes at high speed?

What do you consider to be high speed on a dirt bike?

Most 250 dirt bikes will top out around 65 to 70 mph, the RMX with it's wide ratio transmission will be higher, by how much?? ~ well I'm not sure. I will know in another month or so. I kind of expect it to be around 75 or 80 but in all honesty 99% of my riding will be at half that.

If you need more speed then you will need an off-road 450 (not an MXer).

I felt pretty good on my old 97 RMX at high speed. The front end has a pretty tame rake, so it's not the best handling bike, but it would be GREAT for running through sandy creek beds or fire roads. If you're looking for more power, a pipe/silencer makes a big difference.

Sorry mate, just seemed a funny question. Its a 21 year old 2 stroke dirt bike, high speed was not what it was ever intended for!!

I have 14/50 gearing on mine and ride it flat out occasionally on fire roads, prob 70mph ish and feels fine. Is this what you mean by high speed??

well. i usually cruise and ride pretty fast. Average speed is 45-mph on trails. On fire roads around 60 mph. open desert as fast as the bike will go.

Ive got a 89 with a 13 and 49 and it seems that im just shifting threw the gears till i reach the last one, probally drop it down to a 12 49 .. But any way on fire roads i cant say how fast iwas going but i was hauling and it handled just fine

I was reading acoupple differnt articles and most of them were saying to help out with a sauirrly front end if that os what your dealing with thrn go to a mre flat top clamp and more middle to forward bar setup .. Oh and on my forks on the 89 are kyb 41 mm upside down

I was reading acoupple differnt articles and most of them were saying to help out with a sauirrly front end if that os what your dealing with thrn go to a mre flat top clamp and more middle to forward bar setup .. Oh and on my forks on the 89 are kyb 41 mm upside down

Dude, this thread is over 5 years old...  The OP probably bought, rode and sold the bike by now.