Sign in to follow this  

Thick mud riding

I went to my first LLQ this past weekend and it rained from thursday to sunday. The mud on sunday was a thick type of mud i have never seen. The mud im used to would be slick but you can push threw it. IMO i could not push threw this mud on my 250F at all. I had a Newish tire on. Cant afford diff tires all the time for the diff dirt types.:banana:

I knew it was going to be a mud race driving down but this mud was nothing like what is in my area.

Every time i would be in a rut if the tire touched to side of the rut when it turned on the straights it would kinda knife.

I did notice my steering stem is a little lose but didnt think that would hurt it that bad.

Any other ideas or do i just need to start going out riding when it rains :banana::lol:

I use to love mud when I was younger and now I dont want to get dirty. :banana: Did the bike ever act up before this mud trip? I think what you had happen was the front wheel bite and then slip on you and then bite again while you were tring to stear the bike around the corner or rut. Sand/mud tires help with the tracktion and keeping a loose grip on the bars will help control the bike in mud. Let the bars float left to right in mud and control the bike with you body and realy use your knees to force the bike to go where you want it to. Riding in the mud can be fun if you ride the bike and don't let it ride you.

when riding in mud or any kind or terrian you must do all of your breaking before the turn, make sure you are in the rut first and gradually power out of it staring at the end of it . coming into ruts to fast can cause you to pop out half way through or miss them all together and loose momentum for the next straight away. dont fight the bike to turn more then what the rut already has to offer or your tire like you said knifed. But Practice more in muddy cond for sure! and if not even a dry hard packed or sandy track are very good to. anything that doesnt offer much traction. hope this helps

Mud is not fun, bit to ride it you need to put alot of weight over the rear tire, ( in straights etc )

You would need alot of speed to get thru and alot of throttle.

drift into turns w/o too much or at all braking.