Sign in to follow this  

Husky TE-450/510 vs. Yam WR450F

08-09 Husky TE-450/510 vs. 07> Yam WR450F [street Legaled]

Been riding 40 years on Sport bikes [current scoot- 675 Daytona ] but am dying to try out a DS / SM rig; just sounds like too much fun!

I live in Calif Bay Area and want to ride the area asphalt out my back door and trails [2 hour van trip] and go to desert in S Cal but also ride in [NOT TO] East Oregon, Utah, Sierra and Colo Mountains on weekend & 3-4 week Van / Camping trips

The Idea is to have a Street legal 450 with SM wheelset and separate dirt wheel set up

I plan to ride 30% twisty asphalt rides [mostly local back roads ] and 70 % dirt [could be any combo of desert -trails-woods-single-2 track]

I will also do 2 trips a year to altitude 9-12000' Colo [ asphalt and dirt and trails ]

I wanna keep it as simple as practicable for my first purchase!

I may have this new ride for life [yeah right] or don't mind at all trying it out and need to do something dif , like a brand new shiny new ride once I know what I want] so dont want something crazy hard to re-sell & take big loss, ; the WR seems to be an easy bike to flip, esp. as I may get it plated [buy in another state where I have a residence] and [maybe] resell it in Calif [another issue for another time]

I'm guessing a nice, low time semi farkled 07/08 WR maybe could be had for a bit under $ 4k, the same in TE Im guessin would be mid $5s

No need to blow a bunch of cash $ now on new if the entire idea is in my imagination and not reality based--altho $ 200 / 36 month payments on a new bike are certainly alluring!

The TE is ready to go street legal wise, the WR I would buy plated out of state, more of a hassle, but doable for me.

The WR is carbed vs. TE which has EFI , which would be easier than rejetting for altitude in the mountains!

Euro has more aesthetic appeal than Japanese.

Weight about the same.

Reviews say the TE is 10 db louder than any comparable 450, which gives me great pause for 2 reasons; I dont like to hear it [even with ear plugs, and I don't wanna be makin noise for others to hear.

My guess is the Yamaha would be a bit more reliable and less maintenance, altho I dont mind fussing a bit with oil changes, etc. The WR is tried and tested and rock solid with a lot of years of consistent development

Is the TE significantly more or less reliable than WR?, e.g. I'm 20 or 50 miles from a hard road and it does something quirky and not easily diagnosed and fixed. That really spooks me!

I've eliminated the 250WR or X as it would not have enough kick for the street/ desert and altho the 450 WR may be a bit of a handful in the dirt, a good tradeoff for more torque and power

KTM's seem great but a bit fussy and $$$--maybe later in the game;

Aprilia RXV / SXV seems like an amazing bike [esp on the street] with way too many issues.

Red and Yellow Im sure are great but I I cant bring them into the mix now as Ill just research myself to death . I need to shut up & get riding!!

Another crazy thing is I may be buying one of these bikes without ever riding one- I wish I could simply test / rent one of these for just an hour! Why the Japanese bikes are basically non-demoable seems strange to me, esp. in this tight market....and even getting a Euro bike into the dirt for a few minutes seems all but impossible.

I got to ride a 510 SM in SFran [City] that was amusing but doesnt tell me much about how it would feel in the dirt, but way better than NO ride on a new WR off the showroom floor

SOOOOO, given all the above spiel [ I hope you're still with me!!!! ] which do you guys think would be better for my type of riding?

I'm tending toward the WR for cost, resale, easier maintenance, reliablity, quiet, easier to find, and proven history .

Sorry for the long winded diatribe, just wanted to try to paint a clear picture to generate insights from you guys!

This seems like a very helpful forum, but if there is a better place for me to post , please let me know!

Many thanks!

Ho :banana:

the only wr450F i've ridden was an 02... I own an 07 te450

The te450 is not that loud, and I can easily understand a passenger behind me (couldnt do the same on my yz250)

The wr450f is a decent bike, although where I live its not street legal...

The husky is a good dirtbike but if you want to ride it on long trips a gearing change is needed for sure...

I've ridden my husky hard for 3 years and the only problem I had was a sprocket coming off because I didnt check the bolts (newb mistake) and now i've loctited most things and havent had a problem since

edit: i bought the bike without a test ride as well, p.s. if you are shorter than 5 foot 10 the husky will need to be lowered if you want to touch the ground

if you can get an 07 te450 with the carb you might be better off, the jd jetting kit is awesome and easier to install and get running good, and no fuel pump to fail :banana:

Thanks for all that Tekk!

Hadnt really considered a carbed TE but that's a good thought for me!

Good to hear about your reliability experience !

i'M 5-9 and on a TE it's a stretch to feel the ground for sure!

ho

Im 5 foot 10 and can only just touch the ground on my 07 TE450. Absolute monster ripping through the trails, never had more fun, pretty decent on the road to but if your going any further than 20 miles you should throw on a bigger tooth sprocket, the first time i changed sprockets it took me less than 5 mins i kid you not.

I dont think my bike is that loud really. Havent ridden a wr before but you cant go wrong with a husky. The main difference is the wr has a wide ratio tranny and the husky doesnt.

The problem with the WR450 in states like CA is that it is technically illegal to street plate dirt bikes. Some WR's have 'slipped through the cracks' and gotten plates, but don't count on it, plus the plates could be recalled at any time. That leaves the street legal '06 and newer Husky 450/510 or the '07 and newer KTM 450/525/530 EXC as the most logical choices. The '07 KTM, the last year for the proven and reliable RFS engine, would be a good choice. A major advantage of the KTM is its wide ratio 6 speed tranny which is more suitable for a dual sport bike.

The TE sounds like such a great ride, but so few for sale, and those that are seem to fetch alot more $ than the WRs which are for sale all day long at really attractive pricing.

Going to look @ some this weekend and hopefully get a bit closer!

Cheers!

ho

Worth more because they are better bikes :thumbsup:

Ok I can't actually say that because i havent ridden the wr but you wont be dissapointed with a husky. Not sure where you are in Ca but George Earl from uptite Husky in Santa Ana (I think thats where his shop is) is THE Husky man!

I'm North, George is South, but I understand he is The Go To Guy, even if by phone!

thanks!

ho

I would not be plating it with Calif tags.

I have a residence in another [ far away ] state that makes it real easy to street legalize the WR.

that said, the TE would be the simple way to go, as it's already legal!

ho

do you keep your drivers license and insurance for that other state? Because they check for that

Who is "they"...?

CHP...?

ho

police officers, they are onto that trick out there, mostly because they want to generate revenue

ummm, and what is the "trick" exactly....?

Not sure what you're saying!

ho

I took a quick read thru some of the reviews on the BMW, where it got sh*tcanned pretty badly, and wrote it off the list early on.

But moreso, in the past I've always gravitated toward the more exotic European rides, BMW, Ducati, etc., which seem to me a bit fussier, and the Japanese stuff just seems simpler and less cerebral, esp. the WR450F

I thought, for the first time in my life, do something LESS complicated!

I do wish the WR450 had EFI, and even tho it's on the 2010 YZ450, highly doubt it will be on the 2011 WR next year.

It's that lack of EFI that has me hesitating....

Thanks for all your responses thus far!

ho

What about a Beta 450? 50 state legal, it has the proven ktm RFS motor, pretty reliable bike from what i've heard, its just not many people have them so no one really knows much about them, except the owners!

Yeah , that Beta sounds perfect for me in so many ways; just wish I had the confidence and ability to manage it.

Being that this is my first dirt ride, I'm going ultra conservative for my first bike, and will likely step up to something more exotic, like the Beta, after I get some miles under the WR.

hh

If your going into the mountains that high up you better go with the EFI you will be playing with that carb all the time.