Sign in to follow this  

xr 400 competative on a mx track?

hey guys, my mate is thinking of ditching his crf450 and doing up his 98xr400 to do mx with. is it possible to get enough "RELIABLE" power from the engine with a 426 kit with stage 1 cam and exhaust?

has anyone been down this route?

what are the reliability issues with using the xr400 for mx?

hey guys, my mate is thinking of ditching his crf450 and doing up his 98xr400 to do mx with. is it possible to get enough "RELIABLE" power from the engine with a 426 kit with stage 1 cam and exhaust?

has anyone been down this route?

what are the reliability issues with using the xr400 for mx?

My engine was modded along those lines and the power is about how it should have been stock. It still wont hang with a good running 450 if there is traction though. Guys have mx'ed them but thats doing it the hard way. Plan on beefing up your footpeg mounts. Your knees too.:banana:

do the usd fork conversion to help with handling and the whoop sections, but why get rid of an mx bike to try to make an mx bike out of more of a ds bike?

I have to agree with SparksXR426. The XR is a Trail bike and although you can set it up for MX, it will always be a step behind the bikes that were intended to be MX'ers from the factory.

Don't get me wrong. I love my XR, but I know what it does best.

"Trail Riding".:banana:

Perc

Even a good older 250 2 stroke would make you ride hard as possible to hang with it on a full MX course,Im not saying impossible,but it is what it is,a trail bike tractor.

well i know it is not a xr400 but i think this bike would be harder to throw around and a worse suspension than the 4hundee.. and i do realize who is riding the 650L but maybe the guy wanting to race the XR is bad arse like hot sauce tedesco

here is the video..