Sign in to follow this  

Help!!! Blowing oil from large breather pipe.

I have a 2007 X.

I have reported a few drops of oil coming out of the largest of the 4 x breather pipes that hang down below the rear suspension linkage. The largest pipe leads up behind the cylinder and meets a 'T' piece. At the t section, part of the pipe leads into the back of the cylinder, about half way up. The other part of the pipe from the t section goes up towards the fuel tank. I can't see where it ends.

This morning, I started the bike up using the same routine I have used always, and a lot of oil poured from this breather pipe.

I have been told by a Honda workshop in the UK, that this is gearbox oil. I told him I run a liter of oil instead of the recommended 700cc. He said this was a mistake. I think the wisdom of TT supersedes! It seems that if this oil is coming from the gear box, then it is becoming pressurized somehow.

Please help!!!! I need my bike!

is engine oil low. i have run 1lt in g/box since new and it hasnt over flowed. other end of pipe is just a breather that vents under the seat

There is a possibility that the bike leaned over and some of the extra oil just gravity fed into the tube and now it's just leaking out. I know this tube keeps the air pressure inside the engine the same as the outside. If its puking oil out the tube there is a problem somewhere cuz that really should not happen.

the other end is to the valve cover. you might have overfilled your engine side, and now getting blowby, therefore, blowin oil outa the valve cover, out the hose.

Thanks guys for getting back to me.

I have since been to the workshop, and changed all the oils and filter. When I emptied, the transmission side, there seemed to be loads of oil that came out of the bleed hole (considering I had blown a load this morning). I am wondering if I had a senior moment on the previous oil change and have not bled the tranny side properly. I have re-filled the tranny side with one whole liter of gear oil, and have done about 10 kms since.

Not a drop has come out of the breather pipe.

I was 40 last week; I am old. Forgive me......................

So, excuse me for asking, but what is the logic of running fluids over the manufacturers recommended volume ? * confused *

So, excuse me for asking, but what is the logic of running fluids over the manufacturers recommended volume ? * confused *

On the earlier model X's there was insufficient oiling of gears in the tranny. They relied on the "slosh" effect to get everything lubed up. Alot of trannies locked up because of this on long flat straight sections. Im not 100 percent but I think honda cured this for the '06 model. Running the recommended oil amount in the crankcase was fine, it is only the tranny side of things that needs a full quart. I have an '08 and still run a full quart in the tranny.

• Like 1

On the earlier model X's there was insufficient oiling of gears in the tranny. They relied on the "slosh" effect to get everything lubed up. Alot of trannies locked up because of this on long flat straight sections. Im not 100 percent but I think honda cured this for the '06 model. Running the recommended oil amount in the crankcase was fine, it is only the tranny side of things that needs a full quart. I have an '08 and still run a full quart in the tranny.

+1 xbomb

Not sure when or if they got it fixed but IMO putting one full quart of tranny oil is a :banana: of a lot easier to do than splitting cases and redoing tranny. And about all the guys on here will tell you to run the full quart bc they have been doing it for years, myself included, and had no problem:ride:

Interesting... ...and Honda didn't acknowledge this and send out some sort of bulletin with an updated spec for volume ? ...or do we know that ? (Nothing wrong with tribal knowledge but still.)