Sign in to follow this  

82 xL 185 electrical question

I had to change the headlight bucket in my 82 XL 185, thus the wiring had to be disconnected. I installed it, then reconnected the wiring using my Clymer manual diagram. When I hit the turn signals, either left or right, the tail light and other electrical components dim...looks like they are flashing as well. If this normal or do I need to look into the electrical system a little closer? Seems abnormal to me. When I bought the bike, the turn signals and tail light were not installed, so...I have no idea if this was a problem before I bought the bike or not.

The battery is new, has a full charge...I'm seeing 6.5 volts on a meter when attached to it (this is a 6 v. system).

Thanks!

A little dimming is normal for a 6v system. Could be a poor ground or dirty connector. Was the bike running or not during the test?

It's doing it with the bike turned off and running. When I replaced the tail light, the ground connection on the bottom of the rear fender was removed. I'm going to concentrate on the taillight area tomorrow, socket etc. May as well start where the most recent work has been done. It's been my experience the culprit is something that has been disturbed, recently. As far as I can tell, everything in the headlight bucket is run correctly. I'll go back into it a 3rd time if I have too.

One other note, two. The front brake light switch was causing the brake light to stay on all of the time, flowing juice full time. Since the switch is disconnected now, I couldn't see the ground point coming from it as the culprit. I could be wrong? The front brake light switch is on the list to be replaced.

The socket for the rear tail light bulb is a bit loose, I'll plug the old tail light in with a bulb to see if I get the same results. One thing after another, but...it's all part of the process. :banana:

I'm keeping the tender on the battery over night again, just to make sure I have a good charge when I get back into it again in the morning.

Have you verified the bulbs are 6V bulbs? Somebody may have put 12V bulbs in by mistake, which could cause similar symptoms?

Have you verified the bulbs are 6V bulbs? Somebody may have put 12V bulbs in by mistake, which could cause similar symptoms?

Oh yeah. All are the correct bulbs too. 1129s in the turn signals. The neutral light, turn signal indicator light, high beam indicator light were all burned out. Tail light bulb wasn't there when I purchased the bike either. All bulbs are recently purchased oem.