Honda CRF 150R vs 85 Two Stroke

Hi there guys,

Following on from this thread:

Which would have the better acceleration out of the two in the title?

Which would have the highest top speed? Which would be the most responsive?

Finally, Which would be most suitable for me? I am 13 years old and 5' 5 tall (5 foot, 5 inches). I would use it for riding around fields which my parents own. They have a few jumps built around the fields (quite small most of them). I was thinking a 85 Two Stroke would be better for Jumps as it is quite a lot lighter?

If anyone could answer the above questions then I would be very grateful.:banana:

Thanks, James!

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly you are probably too big for both of them. I woudl say look into a 125.

Chances are if you are 5-5 at 13 you'll be a lot taller at 14. 5-5 is borderline for an 85, even a big wheel model.

Well I am 5' 4.5 to be exact!:banana:

I would rather get a bike which fits me though then having to grow into one as I feel a lot more confident with one which fits me.

I am moving up from a Yamaha TTR 125 so moving to a 125 Two Stroker is quite a big jump power wise.

Also, 125 2 Strokes are about twice the price over here 2nd hand!

My son out grew his overnight. Remember that you are entering your growth spurt.

I had to put him on a CRF250R when he turned 14. Grew a foot that year!

I know but I don't really want to do a big jump from a 125 to a 250. I would rather get a 85 Two-Stroke or a Honda CRF 150R even if it is for 1 or 2 years.

It won't lose any value hopefully!

I know but I don't really want to do a big jump from a 125 to a 250. I would rather get a 85 Two-Stroke or a Honda CRF 150R even if it is for 1 or 2 years.

It won't lose any value hopefully!

it's good to get a little out of your comfort zone at times during your life, you might as well start now. Get the 125 2 stroke or 250 4-stroke and enjoy. :banana:

If you go with the 150, definately look at the bigwheel "RB". However, I still recommend the 250 4-stroke. They are fast bikes but are very tame with the power band and easy to ride.

If you had the cash, I would also look very hard at the KTM 150. May be a little challenging at first but will take you farther into your growth.

Hi there guys,

Following on from this thread:

Which would have the better acceleration out of the two in the title?

The 150r, unless you can really ride the 85

Which would have the highest top speed? Which would be the most responsive?

not sure about the highest top speed, but the topend on the 150r isn't so great. Both bikes are very responsive, jetting would mainly determine any differences.

Finally, Which would be most suitable for me? I am 13 years old and 5' 5 tall (5 foot, 5 inches). I would use it for riding around fields which my parents own. They have a few jumps built around the fields (quite small most of them). I was thinking a 85 Two Stroke would be better for Jumps as it is quite a lot lighter?

If anyone could answer the above questions then I would be very grateful.:banana:

Thanks, James!

The 85 (or a bigger bike like suggested) would be better for the type of riding you're doing. The 150r being heavier doesn't mean it isn't as good at jumping. I've ridden both the cr85 (almost exactly a year) and the 150r (over a year now).

The 85 (or a bigger bike like suggested) would be better for the type of riding you're doing. The 150r being heavier doesn't mean it isn't as good at jumping. I've ridden both the cr85 (almost exactly a year) and the 150r (over a year now).

Thanks for that. I highly value your opinion as you have owned both models!:banana:

During the winter I might not use the bike at all, Do 2-Strokes mind being left for about 3 months?

I know quite a lot of you are suggesting that I get a bigger bike I don't think I necessarily need a bigger one.

My reason is because I find my TTR 125L at the moment a perfect size for me. It's seat height is roughly 805mm (31.7 Inches).

The Yamaha YZ 85 LW seat height is 904mm (35.6 Inches) which is 100mm (3.94 Inches)taller then my TTR.

Surely that extra 100mm (3.84 Inches) will last me a little while.

The seat height of the YZ 125 is 994mm (37.2 Inches) which is almost 200mm (7.87 Inches) taller then my TTR.

That seems a lot more height and a lot more power. I don't think I would mind if it wasn't as powerful.

That's just my opinion though and I am sure a lot of you will disagree!:banana:

For storing any bike at least drain the gas so it won't gum up in the carb. I've had a kx65 sit for a long time with the gas sitting in the carb (didn't expect it to sit for so long) and it started in a couple kicks :banana:, but i guess that's how 2 strokes treat you?

My dad has spoken to our Mechanic who fixes our Rally Karts and he says that the Honda CRF 150R is a fantastic bike and would be more suited to my needs.

He also said that it would be easier to maintain.

I think I would prefer a Two-Stroke as it seems to me like they have better acceleration but maybe I am wrong?

I just want a bike which is more suited to my needs. Also, which would hold it's value better over time?

Sounds like you already know what you want....and that's good!

The 150 is strong and fast! It is also tame which will be a better step off of the ttr125. A two stroke 125 has a sharp power curve and is meant to be run hard. You may not like it for your type of riding.

Re-sale value is largely how you take care of it. You will need to change the oil more frequently and keep an eye on the air filter. Keep the bike clean! Also to help re-sale, install an hour meter immediately after you get it. People like to see these on bike because it says a lot about the prior owner regarding maintainence. Definately get the big wheel.

My dad has spoken to our Mechanic who fixes our Rally Karts and he says that the Honda CRF 150R is a fantastic bike and would be more suited to my needs.

He also said that it would be easier to maintain.

I think I would prefer a Two-Stroke as it seems to me like they have better acceleration but maybe I am wrong?

I just want a bike which is more suited to my needs. Also, which would hold it's value better over time?

Easier to maintain? No, not even close.

But if you want the 150R get it.