Sign in to follow this  

Universal Engineering triple clamps

I got the upper and lower triple clamps for free from a friend.

But I have never heard of this company before. Are they good or bad? Will I notice any difference from stock?

I have their upper clamp on my bike, it's alright, I'm certainly glad I didn't pay more than $20 for it on ebay. I didn't notice any difference over stock other than I think it vibrates more. I should just put the stock one back on.

Is yours the stock offset? If it is you probably won't notice any difference.

Do a Google search on Universal clamp-recall. I think some of their clamps had a recall but not sure which ones.

I've heard numerous people having problems with them stripping out and I'd be inclined to avoid them. I bought my ProTaper clamps for like $40 locally and they're pretty damn nice.

They were having a blow out/ give away sale on ebay. My friend picked up the complete triple clamps (honestly look like chineese garbage) and I picked up a carbon fiber skid plate. the skid plate looks fine. Well, for $5 bucks its fine enough. I would stay away....then again your getting them free, so what do you have to loose?

Tom

I got a Universal upper clamp at a ridiculously low price . . . and it ended up being a ridiculously cheap item. While torqueing the bolts I ended up stripping not one but two of the 4 pinch clamp threads. 'Happened at < 15 ft-lbs torque.

My clamp was chinsy, maybe you'll have better luck with yours. I went for a Pro Taper Superstock upper clamp that was < $50, very nice rig.