Sign in to follow this  

Sell me on sending my suspension out

I have an '08 CRF 450r. This is my first 4 stroke Mx bike. I'm having some trouble getting it to handle, and it's beating me to death on braking / stutter bumps. I weigh 220 in street clothes and suspect I need heavier springs and a revalve. Money is a little tight at the moment, but I could justify it if it makes the bike work. How dramatic of a change can I expect with custom suspension? BTW, I ride variety of terrain...

Thanks!

If your tight on money, the first step I would take before any re-valve would be to get the correct springs, then re-adjust and decide from there.

Find out what springs you need for your Weight www.racetech.com has an online Spring Calculator and then go hunting on Ebay for your springs. Diversified Spring http://www.diverse-mfg.com has very reasonable spring prices. I cant vouch for their quality but there is also Race Tech, Eibach etc out there. Make sure you have the springs and Sag set correctly!

I weight 200 and have to generally go up 1 spring size. Usually each 20 pounds higher/lower requires another step in spring selection.

Springs is a MUST DO!

yep, re spring it before you spend big money.. you will be surprised what that will do for smoothing out the ride.. right now you are down in the harshest part of the valving right off the bat..

Putting heavier springs in seems like a good first step. What is the procedure for swapping out the fork and shock springs?

You need to do both. The rebound damping needs to be increased to match the springs. The beating is the damping (high speed mostly) that needs to decreased. The harshness can be corrected with a revalve but you will be a little on the soft side for springs. If you ride off road and are a novice level, the spring may be OK. I am 200 lbs and run the same springs. The settings let me past guys in rock sections. I tune for a lot of D37 H&H guys some are 200 lb Experts on .47kg and 5.5 kg springs. You can PM if you need more info.

Don't use Race-Techs spring generator. use Mx-Techs. Your forks will love you for it. Race-Tech recommends too light of a spring.

If money is tight, learn to re-valve yourself. Its easy and more rewarding. Besides, if you learn fast, most changes can be done in a night....

Do not know anything about Honda's, but a heavier spring might make the problem worse w/o revalue. I learned that the expensive way. You might make a bucking pony with a heavier spring. How far off is the stock spring from you weight?

I have an '08 CRF 450r. This is my first 4 stroke Mx bike. I'm having some trouble getting it to handle, and it's beating me to death on braking / stutter bumps. I weigh 220 in street clothes and suspect I need heavier springs and a revalve. Money is a little tight at the moment, but I could justify it if it makes the bike work. How dramatic of a change can I expect with custom suspension? BTW, I ride variety of terrain...

Thanks!

Sorry I have no worthy advice, but do send my regards to Atticus and the gang. Ha! ha!:thumbsup:

i can't recomend anything. especially if you're on a tight budget cause i don't even know what a budget is...i spend the money whether i have it or not....LOL

i can say this though. the last bike i bought was an '06 CRF250R and i thought the stock suspension was ok. i only weigh 155lbs. i said fark it and i boned up and just sent my stuff off to Factory Connection. holy butt nuggets did it make a HUGE difference. that thing would go anywhere i pointed it and suck it all up. they are all about making sure that their customers are happy whether it's some shmuck like us or kevin windham. another great thing about them is that if you ever need a revalve or a rebuild all you have to do is send it back to them and they will do it for free dollars. plus they will send you the box and all the packing materials to send it. i just bought myself a CRF450R and my suspension will be going into them for sure here in the next couple of weeks. especially since i don't think there is a setting on a stock 450 that will work for my narrow ass...LOL hope this helps

I weight about the same and rode a bike for a few years before sending it to factory connection and wow what a difference. I can't explain how much it helped with everything and i mean everything!!!!!!!! I spent about 1400 on springs valving and linkage and now when I buy a brand new bike I strip them down and ship the suspension off before I even start them. For lighter riders stock suspension is fine(165 to 190) but when you get up over the 200lb mark it is a must. corners better, tracks ruts better and braking/ acceleration bumps are fun. If cash is tight just remember you are on one of the best 450's and you could ride that bike for the next 4 or 5 years. so have fun on it.:thumbsup: