Sign in to follow this  

97 KX 125 rear shock ....

I need to rebuild/new seals on my shock .... its real bouncy !!

question is ...can i just do new seals and how hard a job is it ?? out of work temp and need to do this cheap as possible :lol:

some advice from those who have done this recently would be greatly appreciated :banana: what to order? seals only?

IMPORTANT: You MUST refill it with nitrogen.

You may want to just buy a new seal head. If a 1997 KX125 seal head is anything like the KDX (and late '80's / early '90's KX) seal heads, rebuilding them is a HUGE hassle compared to buying new.

You will need a new bushing as well.

I strongly encourage you to just save up for a complete head instead of trying to rebuild it, IF it is the old style. I took one apart just for fun once, and it was a freakin' chore! After that, I always encouraged the people whose shock I was working on to just buy a new one, as I would NOT rebuild them!

IMPORTANT: You MUST refill it with nitrogen.

You may want to just buy a new seal head. If a 1997 KX125 seal head is anything like the KDX (and late '80's / early '90's KX) seal heads, rebuilding them is a HUGE hassle compared to buying new.

You will need a new bushing as well.

I strongly encourage you to just save up for a complete head instead of trying to rebuild it, IF it is the old style. I took one apart just for fun once, and it was a freakin' chore! After that, I always encouraged the people whose shock I was working on to just buy a new one, as I would NOT rebuild them!

thanks KDX .... was going to look on ebay for a new "used" shock .... one that still has good seals , etc hopefully .... i found couple for under $100 .... then maybe i can get the one thats currently toast:bonk: rebuilt at a shop for a back-up .... a guy at local shop said about 2 hours labor plus parts ?? not sure if thats good or not? .... i think $60 hr rate ...not positive on that rate ....

That doesn't sound horrible. BE SURE to ask for the old parts back! A seal head for most is around $40 - $45, which includes the head, top out bumper, washer, oil seal, dust seal, bushing and outer o-ring. You will need a new nut. While you are at it, I STRONGLY suggest that you buy a new bottom out bumper, if the original is still on there. They run around $25. If your bladder is shot (OK, the shock's, not yours :banana: ), then another $25. You will need a new piston band and the 1 or 2 o-rings under it. That's around $15 / $20.

It will also need nitrogen. If you are just doing one shock, it is cheaper to just have a shop fill it up. I paid $350 for my setup, so I can put 10 cents worth of nitrogen in each shock.

It is going to look similar to this one from a 1991 KDX200 I worked on.

1991KDX200shockparts.jpg