Sign in to follow this  

2001 yz250f

Just bought it, is there anything I should know about this particular year? Any input helps, thanks

Change the oil a lot. every 5-6 hours

Keep and eye on your valves. I check mine every third oil change. Once you have to reshim one, you should check them every oil change. The second time you have to reshim one of the valves you will need to replace them. There is a hard coating on the valves. (cant remember the name) and once that wears off they need replacing before it breaks off or drops down and make contact with the piston.

You should also think of replacing the cam chain. Do a search there is a ton of info on that as well.

Best of luck

I got one there great. They come stock with manual decomp. if so do the auto decomp mod. its the best thing ever. Its where you get the 03-09 yz250f exhuast cam shaft and switch it . makes for easy one kick start. Oil is the same for tranny and motor so change about 5-10 hrs depending on how hard you ride. Run non synthetic . or semi.

i run yamalube and change it about 7 hrs. Oh and by the way purchase large qaunitys of oil cause it takes alot.