Sign in to follow this  

First bike help!

Hey guys, im new here, I was refered by my friend bryan, redtillidie on here. He taught me how to ride on a crf230f, and have been riding for about 6 months now. I have been on his crf280x, a crf250R and a Crf 450R, the 450r is too fast, and the 250r feels like it is too much aswell, I like the 250x power but when changed to a 280x it feels like to much torque for me, Im still a newb lol. Ive been looking into getting a CR 125 because they are cheap, easy to maintain, and light. Id like a crf250x based on I am a sucker for trees, I ride trails and would prefer trails over track any day. The downside in my eyes is that the 250x is pricey, and heavier then the 125. Id prefer to stay red and ride honda, but if anyone prefers anything other lmk. Id like you guys's help to find me a good bike, im about 6'0 and about 175 lbs.

Edited by Cjacob74

Get a 125 and learn how to use the clutch. They are a lot of fun.

A stock Honda Cr 125 would suck for most trails. You should really look into enduro 2 strokes. I don't know your budget, but a KTM 200exc or any other enduro brand 125-200 might be the ticket.

Bikes to consider

Husky WR 125

KTM 200 exc

Kawasaki KDX 200

They make about the same HP as a 250f, but don't have to be wound out so much, and are way lighter too.

They are also way more torquey than the honda cr...

try a smoker and see how you like it, some prefer the more tractor like 4-stroke power and how it hooks up

In my opinion, no bike is to fast. It's up to you to control the bike. Once your used to it and have ridden it for a while you'll always want more. Consider different brands. Brand loyalty is nice and all but no Manufacturer builds a bad bike these days. KTM and Yamaha both offer very nice 4 stroke 250 trail bikes.

Are you looking for new or used? If new, look for a leftover '09 model as you should be able to talk the dealer down in price.

I just got a new '09 YZ450f for $5400.

It's funny how people can tell you what to get and how to spend your money without knowing anything about you....

How old are you

How big (tall/weight) are you....

Workout any???

Now, I see nothing worng with any 125 except the clutching. It can be a lot of work in the tight woods. I like a bigger bike that pulls me around without having to shifting down to just shift back up over & over.... But thats just me....

It's funny how people can tell you what to get and how to spend your money without knowing anything about you....

How old are you

Workout any???

Now, I see nothing worng with any 125 except the clutching. It can be a lot of work in the tight woods. I like a bigger bike that pulls me around without having to shifting down to just shift back up over & over.... But thats just me....

He already stated his height and weight... and I just stated the blatantly obvious for anybody riding off road in search of a small bike...

In my opinion, no bike is to fast. It's up to you to control the bike. Once your used to it and have ridden it for a while you'll always want more. Consider different brands. Brand loyalty is nice and all but no Manufacturer builds a bad bike these days. KTM and Yamaha both offer very nice 4 stroke 250 trail bikes.

Are you looking for new or used? If new, look for a leftover '09 model as you should be able to talk the dealer down in price.

I just got a new '09 YZ450f for $5400.

Used, im looking in the price range of cheap...Im eying 2 stokes cause they are cheap, and cheap to rebuild.. I dont see myself spending more then 2k..

How old are you

Workout any???

Im 17

5'11/180ish

I dont really work out much, but people say im somewhat big for my size. The 230 I learned to ride on was heavier then my friends crf250x, and I could maneuver that well, got weight transitioning down and learned how to lug that weight around lol. My max curl was like one-two reps of 240lbs

I can work the clutch fine...thats not an issue either, I relate it to cars alot. Im a drifter so I am constantly working the clutch and braking in a car, so I know the concept of it like the back of my hand.. I just dont want a bike that I will get hurt on, and I know a 450 or a 250 2 stroke will hurt me very fast.

I was looking at some reviews of a 125 exc KTM or a 125sx, does anyone have anything to say about KTM and there bikes? How about there earlier models such as 2003-2008.

IMO, KTMs are what all other offroad bikes are compared too. They are high quality, great suspension (many don't like the no-link rear shock, but it's easier to work on), and run great. They usually put out more power than a comparable Japanese bike. They also come with features that other manufacturers don't, hydraulic clutches, brembo brakes, etc.

My neighbor has a KTM 300MXC and a 400EXC. Both run and ride great with plush suspension that's awesome for the trail.

KTM is never a bad choice. I did ride a 125SX and its very light and maneuverable and has power to spare as long as your screaming it. The EXC will come with a light and it's suspension is set up for trail riding whereas the SX is setup for motorcross.

Consider a 200EXC so you have something to grow (skillwise, not physically) into. KTM trail 2-strokes tend to be mild mannered and easy to handle.

IMO, KTMs are what all other offroad bikes are compared too. They are high quality, great suspension (many don't like the no-link rear shock, but it's easier to work on), and run great. They usually put out more power than a comparable Japanese bike. They also come with features that other manufacturers don't, hydraulic clutches, brembo brakes, etc.

My neighbor has a KTM 300MXC and a 400EXC. Both run and ride great with plush suspension that's awesome for the trail.

KTM is never a bad choice. I did ride a 125SX and its very light and maneuverable and has power to spare as long as your screaming it. The EXC will come with a light and it's suspension is set up for trail riding whereas the SX is setup for motorcross.

Consider a 200EXC so you have something to grow (skillwise, not physically) into. KTM trail 2-strokes tend to be mild mannered and easy to handle.

Perfect description. Thank you sir.

I would really like a EXC, mainly because of the headlight...but the exc are new years arent they? or atleast with the headlight....like 08 or so, which I cant find in my price range. I get what your saying about getting a 200, because its not a 250 yet, so I wont get hurt as easily as I would on a 250, yet its got more umph then a 125 so as I progress, I can gradually progress with more and more throttle and speed on the 200, instead of buying a new bike. Basically, If I could find a 125 exc for under 2k, I would jump on it. Fast. But thats not the case and if im going to spend the money on a 125sx I may be better off with another Jap bike. I have heard that KTM's suck because when parts break, they are expensive, and take a while to get here seeing that they are from austria...I didnt believe it since honda and kawi are japanese but parts are everywhere...so im assuming KTM parts arent that hard to come across.

Thanks alot to those that have put forth in this thread and helping me find the right missle to put under my legs to bring me to my death bed :banana:

Also, replying to Tim- One thing I notice very easily is suspension, I could tell the difference between the 230f and the 250x of coarse, I can tell the difference between the 250x and the 250R aswell as the 450R... And I prefer the 250x suspension over anything else I have ridin, its a little more giving in the rear, and more stable in the front it seems. Im assuming its because its a trail bike, because I noticed when going fast in the woods (fast for me is like 30-40mph) that the front tire stays under the bike more, then a race bike, the race bike seems to be more sensative...so say hitting a rock or a rut, the bike will hop out from under me easier on a race bike.... im assuming the exc as you stated will have more of the woods/trail tuned suspension, appose to the race? If so then id deffinately be more interested in the EXC, I just kind find one thats cheap.

Also, replying to Tim- One thing I notice very easily is suspension, I could tell the difference between the 230f and the 250x of coarse, I can tell the difference between the 250x and the 250R aswell as the 450R... And I prefer the 250x suspension over anything else I have ridin, its a little more giving in the rear, and more stable in the front it seems. Im assuming its because its a trail bike, because I noticed when going fast in the woods (fast for me is like 30-40mph) that the front tire stays under the bike more, then a race bike, the race bike seems to be more sensative...so say hitting a rock or a rut, the bike will hop out from under me easier on a race bike.... im assuming the exc as you stated will have more of the woods/trail tuned suspension, appose to the race? If so then id deffinately be more interested in the EXC, I just kind find one thats cheap.

Right, the EXC will have trail tuned suspension. The SX suspension is tuned to handle large jumps and smoother tracks where you won't be hitting the roots, rocks, and other crap. The EXC will soak up those rocks and roots but won't be able to handle big jumps without bottoming out.

The transmission ratios are also different between the race and trail bikes. The trail bikes have a wider transmission ratio which makes them tamer and less likely to make the front wheel float and feel a bit jumpy.

Glad I could help. Let us know what you go for. It's always great to see a new rider join the mix.

Right, the EXC will have trail tuned suspension. The SX suspension is tuned to handle large jumps and smoother tracks where you won't be hitting the roots, rocks, and other crap. The EXC will soak up those rocks and roots but won't be able to handle big jumps without bottoming out.

The transmission ratios are also different between the race and trail bikes. The trail bikes have a wider transmission ratio which makes them tamer and less likely to make the front wheel float and feel a bit jumpy.

Glad I could help. Let us know what you go for. It's always great to see a new rider join the mix.

Thanks for the info, Ill keep an eye out for a exc, I may just end up getting the CR 125 tho, because of price differences.

Anyone have anything bad to say about 98-2002 Ktm's, like a 125sx? are they prone to breaking certain parts? how do they stack up to other leading bikes in its class?

My neighbor's bikes are from 2000 (300 2 stroke) and 2002 (400 4 stroke). No major problems with either. Well, except for a leaky fork seal on the 300, but that's nothing to really cry about. As far as competition on them, I don't know I can't remember that far back. :banana:

get a 125! prefereably a yz... they are the strongest 125s made and you can probably find and 02 and a little newer around your price range... and if they say its freshly rebuilt... dont believe them... tell them that you wana see it started and ridden... listen for engine rattles... thats a no no... they are tryin to rip you off... most ppl will say they rebuilt it to sweetin the deal... but they really probably didnt.. unless its really clean.

Although the YZ is a good bike I don't think the YZ is the "strongest" 125 made. I think the longest lasting strongest 125 at this time is the Husky CR125 or WR 125. From what I hear from a local KTM mechanic the 125-144 go through pistons and rings and a very fast pace. I do agree that the 125 2-strokes are very fun bikes.