Sign in to follow this  

UFO plastics not so nice

i just got replacement side panels from ufo. the kit came with all 3 pieces.. right side, left side, and air filter door. well the right side fits perfectly, and i thought the left hand side did too until i put the air filter door on. where the door and the LH panel meet, the door sticks out about 1/4 inch more than the LH side panel. i know it doesn't sound like a big ga but it is so noticeable. anybody else have this problem, if so, was there a way you fixed this?

yes, i had the same problem, what i ended up doin was............on the left panel where the bolt goes thru to mount to the sub frame...............put a locknut on the backside of the plastic(basically keep the bolt nutted to the plastic at all times) this will stick that left panel out far enough to mostly match it up with the door. another thing i learned also, was mount the side panel normally, then mock up the filter door cover(cause of the plastic nubs you have to stamp, melt, whatever to lock em on) they do have a little movement in them. not sure if that will recess that cover to the side panel, but worth a try. i had already melted the nubs on, so i was pretty much left withthe bolt nutted on the side panel at all times to space the panel out to the door. hope this helps! good luck

BTW it looks perfectly fine for me from the sides, rear, etc. aftermarket plstics are always going to have a flaw.........

i was thinking of doing that as well but it seems like there will be an open gap on the backside of the panel and the rear fender where a lot of dirt can get in there. did that happen to you?

The air-filter door and side-panel by UFO... suck-eggs.

... the only way to cure that ugly fit is like mentioned, space out the side panel from the lower mount, and if your tricky... use a heat gun. I did, and got it all pretty close.

OEM is the ONLY way to get a perfect fit.

OEM is the ONLY way to get a perfect fit.

:banana: good luck with the new air filter door. That was a huge PITA!

I was able to use a heat gun as JAT suggested, but there's still a gap. The door should still seal properly. I shoved a piece of foam near the rear fender/air filter door/sub frame junction to fill this gap, even though the actual door is still thoroughly sealed.

oh yeah dstolleys. how did you melt the tabs to mushroom them over? i just popped them into the holes. but i dont trust it staying on to well for very long

oh yeah dstolleys. how did you melt the tabs to mushroom them over? i just popped them into the holes. but i dont trust it staying on to well for very long

Do you have a map gas torch?

Heat a brand... like a metal rod of 1/8" in diameter, and push over the top of the pin. It'll flatten it out perfectly. If you don't have something like that to suffice, a soldering gun works... but it's crude.

Do you have a map gas torch?

Heat a brand... like a metal rod of 1/8" in diameter, and push over the top of the pin. It'll flatten it out perfectly. If you don't have something like that to suffice, a soldering gun works... but it's crude.

basically how JAT did it. have a 1/2" piece of aluminum rounded on pne end. the other drilled into a wood handle. heat the rounded end up w a torch, and even press that hot rod down over the nub, and itll melt it onto place.

the gap in the back under the fender, i didnt worry about, havnt had a lot of dirt or mud get in there at all. it works and looks pretty good considering its not oem.

Holy crap!! Ok do this do that! bend this, heat that, drill, tap, hammer....Really?! Okay Im spending a little more money for OEM. I was gonna order the UFO stuff too. Never friggin mind. I wanna ride the bike not have an engineering project! lol

its really not that hard, all you have to fluck with is the airbox door and side panel to get them to match up. whatever floats your boat i guess

Like all the others, I ran into the same problem. Hopefully UFO heeds the feedback they have been given. I let them know when I got mine. Hopefully everyone else did too.

I also put a spacer behind the left side panel to match it up to the filter door. It wasnt a big deal to do "at all". Just wish they would have done some test fitting on a X before putting their product out there. Obviously this isn't a random thing. Everyone I have talked to has had the same problem.

Does anyone know if you can get aftermarket sidepanels in the original red and white colours? or do you have to go OEM for that?

Resurrecting this thread just to warn everyone that shimming the UFO side plate may or may not be a problem. I have had my UFO side panels on for a couple years now. About 3 rides ago I decided to shim it up to align with the airbox lid. Put about a 1/4" aluminum spacer underneath. Looked great. Last weekend I was riding along and felt something flopping around back there on the left side. At the next stop looked and the plate had completely broke right below the mounting hole shared with the seat. I could see how shimming it could put a little extra stress right there. I didn't fall so I'm drawing the conclusion that shimming had something to do with the break. Draw your own. I could have inadvertently wacked it with my boot, but either way I'm spending another $50 and I will live with the funkiness of the UFO plate to airbox lid next time just to be safe.

-t

Interesting. Ufo has never been my first choice. Bike came with the extra set. I used glue to get the flapper door to fit snug.