Sign in to follow this  

why you should buy a yz250 for the woods

I recently bought a yz250 for woods riding, it is awesome! it has v-force 3 reeds, 9oz flywheel weight, acerbis hand guards. 14/52 sprokets. I was really suprised on how much low and mid tourqe its has!

reasons you should buy one.

1 they are so easy to start even if you dumped it over

2 it has power everywhere

3 it is so smooth

4 it doesnt overheat

5 it starts so easy - everytime

6 if its jetted right you can put through the woods for a half hour and then rip right into the open

7 if i didnt mention it already, it is so easy to start this thing!

sunday was the first real riding day for me since i got this bike and the snow melted. I was great! I questioned my self when i bought this bike if i made a mistake knowing i would be riding more single track than anything. Those of you who wonder if this is a good choice for you- IT IS a great choice. it pulls so hard down low in 2nd gear and rips up top. I have no complaints...whatsoever!

/agree

my '99 yz 250 is perfect for whatever i throw at her.

I'm also happy to read this. Just traded my 2001 DRZ400S for a 2005 YZ250. I'm sick of lugging around that 300lb pig and I can't wait to cut some trails on my property. I haven't rode a two stroke in years, so it will take some getting used to.

And its affordable! And cheap to maintain.

Cheap, yes! Not all of us have $7500 to throw around on a new ktm 200. If i had the money, i would still buy my $1000 1998 yz250 (its really nice and you couldnt tell it from a new one) now that i have ridden both. I feel the ktm skipped around in the front end, kinda a loose feeling. IF someone was looking for a single track bike, i would ride a yz before i bought anything else!

I agree as well! The low end on these bikes is amazing, we can thank the two stage power valve for this.

I was doing hill climbs, just small ones, but the bike was lifting the front wheel and the ports hadn't even opened up yet (you can tell cause of how it sounds). It sounded like it was going to stall but I still have plenty of power, and more if I gave the throttle any more.

I love this bike to death, just awesome.

These are great single track bikes. Loves to chase any Euro bike anywhere. Love to see their reactions when they ask if I'm tired from all the "big hit" power. :banana:

the "big hit" on these bikes is seriously OVERRATED in some respects. It's not overrated in the power delivery department, but when it comes to the "Oh man, how do you hang on all the time, you must be just hanging off the bars every time you go past half throttle huh?" department.

It's not tiresome at all, it's exciting, friggen pumps you up, makes you smile cause you know you own a bike that has some serious balls.

I just traded my 99 XR400 for a 00 YZ250 for my son to race Harescrambles with.

I put on Barkbusters, A Stealhy Flywheel weight , a skidplate off of Ebay and dropped 1 on the countershaft sprocket. I was impressed, a pretty good woods wepon.

The kid loves it!

Have myself a nice 1997 yz250, it a older bike but it still beats the all the 250f's iv encountered :banana:

And there's noting like that feeling when you land from a jump and just pin it till the next turn, that always brings a smile to my face

When you get into some really, really tight stuff it will tip toe through quietly and lightly with a little clutch control without all those noisy valve sounds of a 4 stroke. Twist the throttle all the way when the trail opens up and you really can't ask for anything more. Run down a rutted, whooped two track with the throttle pinned in 5th gear and you can barely feel the ground beneath you. :banana:

i started out racing a 96 xr 200 then went to a 04 crf 250x then i got 2-yz 250s(03 and 04) and set them up for racing hare scrambles and i have to say these are the best single track bikes i have raced!i have some racing buddies who have gotten new bikes -husaburg 390-ktm 250xc 09-2010 and a few others and yes the new bikes are exiting and i question my self about getting a new bike,but i ride my bike and just cant find any reason to change.and i race every race in my series.they hold up,-bullet proof- start everytime i tip over or wreck,i just cant change.my bikes has 11oz fww-revalved susp.-gpr-v-1 damper and body armor thats it and they survive year after year of eastcoast h/s......cant ask for more than that imho.

I just got a 05 yz 250 about a month and am totally pleased with this bike! I came from a KTM 300 and was a little skepticle as the KTM is such a high quality bike. The YZ may not have all the goodies like the electric start and the Hyd. clutch, but the thing out performs and handles like anything I have ever ridden. LOVE it!!

I love my '05 so much that I can't think of what new bike would be better than what I've already got. Used to ride KTM's and there is no comparison the YZ wins hands down! As soon as Yamaha makes a major change to the 250-t I will buy a new one.

Ive owned a yz 250 in the past and just got another one a couple weeks ago, i havnt been more excited to want to ride in so long. I love this bike. BBBRRRRRAAAAP!

the "big hit" on these bikes is seriously OVERRATED in some respects. It's not overrated in the power delivery department, but when it comes to the "Oh man, how do you hang on all the time, you must be just hanging off the bars every time you go past half throttle huh?" department.

It's not tiresome at all, it's exciting, friggen pumps you up, makes you smile cause you know you own a bike that has some serious balls.

i agree,

there really isn't much comparable to lifting that front tire in 4th gear.

and thats coming from someone who owned a 954rr sportbike for 5 years.

I have been back and forth about getting rid of mine for a while now. I just came up with the conclusion that it really isn't worth it (again). Compared to the ktms, my yz has a hydraulic clutch, 18" rear, wr trans, two flywheel weights (9 & 13 oz.) guards all over, selectable map ignition and most of the other fancy things that a ktm has (other than the e-start, which would be nice at times, though). Even though my bike is ten years old, I still have less money in it than a ktm 300 and it can hang with just about anything. I let my buddies ride it, and they can't believe that the bike is like butter! I eventually will get a big bore from Eric Gorr, but with buying a house, I will live with the stock displacement......sigh......(not really, the bike is very capable!).

it would be a great choice for me except its illegal to ride an unregistered bike in any kind of public land here in nsw australia :banana: