Sign in to follow this  

7 oz flywheel weight on a 125

I just ordered one. I'm a trail rider. No MX.

Mistake? Should I just send it back when it gets here?

I like the bike a little snappy. It's a 125 after all. That's part of the fun.

But... I've got it geared pretty low and now that I'm pleased with the gearing, traction is becoming an issue. I can't seem to hit the perfect combo. This is why I ordered it.

What say you folks?

I have 7oz MSR FWW in mine and it's fine with stock gearing for woods racing. For sand and MX it's too much.

7oz fww shouldnt be an issue in the woods, since you dont ride mx you should love it... it will help alot when tryin to find that happy medium in the woods when gearing itself wont do the trick.

I have a 9oz on my '06 YZ125 for hare scrambles and like it. On a SX or short mx track it's a little much, but woods and flowing mx tracks I like it. I think it helps keep the rear hooked up and more importantly, I stall much less with the FWW. I stall the 125 less than my KTM 300...

Thanks for the opinions folks.

I'm going to give it a whirl.

What gearing are you guys running in the woods?

I think right now I'm running the stock countershaft sprocket, whatever it is, and a 49 on the rear, which I believe is +1 tooth from stock. It works ok, can run out of top speed on the big field sections, but would have with the stock gearing anyway. Next time I put sprockets on, I'll probably try a 50 on the back. I feel guilty about what I have to do to the clutch on nasty uphills.:banana:

I had a 50 on it and actually ran a 52 last time out. We wear riding in nasty, rutted up, root infested, 1st gear hell.

I'm 210lbs plus gear and I felt like I was murdering the clutch in the nasty 1st gear stuff with the 50 tooth.

The 52 is great in that stuff but it makes traction control a problem.

I'll go back to the 50 for more open trails. Can't imagine the 48. Not with my fat a$$ on it.

ride report-

I like it a lot. Really helped with tight turning and getting back on the gas. Lays down the power nicely but still rips if I want it too. Highly recommended to a woods rider.