Sign in to follow this  

Broken Femurs?

So I've noticed that a large number of people tend to shatter one or more femurs during a huge crash. Is this typically from slamming the tops of your femurs into the bars on your way into the dirt?

Why not then have some kind of rigid protector/guard on the tops of the thighs? Kind of like a shin-guard for thigh bones...

Curious what those here that have broken said femurs think.....

I have never heard of that, but I shattered the end of my femur last summer when I double bounced and landed with the front wheel knifed. I should have bailed, but I held on and the bike slammed me into the hardpacked dirt (it was like concrete that day). Had surgery and they put in 5 screws... took me 5 months to get back on the bike, and I now wear Thor Force kneed guards because my knee is very sensitive from the surgery.

not sure if that is what you are looking for...

My oldest son broke his femur when his bike swap ends on him in a corner. Just pitched him off and he never hit the handlebars, it was the sudden impact of his foot in the dirt that snapped it. I realy don't see any protective gear that would have stop or saved his leg on that get off. The femur is a very large bone, I realy don't see a good solution for protection of this bone that would be comfortable to wear and not be restrictive. Maybe its out there and I didn't find it. I fear internal organ damage from the handlebars more than anything. Lot of the new chest protectors don't cover below the ribs.

some of them break at the tops of the knee braces that many people wear.

that force has to go somewhere. if you brace the demur, then people will start breaking backs instead.

Obviously, there is a lot of force involved in breaking this bone.

I do think a decent percentage of femur breaks are from knee braces though.

I wore cti's for years, but they really can't protect a twist knee injury. I quit wearing them several years ago.

Dr. Mark has a long thread over on health/fitness about this.

My son went into the bars last year and had a complete mid shaft break when his leg hit the bars on the way down to the ground. It left a bruise right where his leg hit the bars. He's recovered now, but I wonder in this case if a pad on the top of his leg might have prevented the break. We used to wear pads in this location when I played football in highschool.

My oldest son broke his femur when his bike swap ends on him in a corner. Just pitched him off and he never hit the handlebars, it was the sudden impact of his foot in the dirt that snapped it. I realy don't see any protective gear that would have stop or saved his leg on that get off. The femur is a very large bone, I realy don't see a good solution for protection of this bone that would be comfortable to wear and not be restrictive. Maybe its out there and I didn't find it. I fear internal organ damage from the handlebars more than anything. Lot of the new chest protectors don't cover below the ribs.

My cousin ruptured a secondary artery in his leg when he cased a step up and bike stopped instantaneously....the handlebars stopped his momentum. Initially they thought it was femur because of the big bulge in his upper thigh/lower groin area but that was just because blood was pumping into that space....thankfully he is fully recovered and back in the saddle.

I wanna say it takes some 1800lbs of force to break a femur? I don't think any kind of guard is gonna do the trick... if you hit that sucker that hard I don't think there's any way to stop it from shattering.

Why not then have some kind of rigid protector/guard on the tops of the thighs? Kind of like a shin-guard for thigh bones...

well, the worst I saw was a guy who endo'd off a medium size jump, bailed in mid-air and landed on his knees. both femurs broke off and pierced clean through his riding pants. thigh guards would not have helped him.

you should all realize that broken femur is a life threatening injury. because if the femur pierces that giant artery in your thigh leg you will bleed out before the helicopter gets you to the hospital. that's why you see paramedics, get very tense on the track, whenever they are tending to a rider with a suspected femur break. the slightest movement and a broken leg turns into a lost life.

now about that 140 foot 250F jump that some spode built in his backyard. let's talk about that now.

Sic..